Chapter 23 : Bad Blood

Slivered

Finally

I open my eyes for the first time in like forever, welcoming the bright rays of the sun seeping through the blinds. It takes me some time before I can clearly see because my eyes were like glued shut. This is like being a newly born all over again, except this time there is no crying and a vagina involved. I feel fantastic, I'm alive.

I try to take a look at where I am, it's unusually quiet. The beeping sound coming from a machine is the only sound that can be heard in this white hospital room. My hand reaches for my itching nose, but fails when I realize I am wearing an oxygen mask. I roll my eyes and instantly regret it, with a faint throb coming from the back of my head.

This is lame, everything is lame, including this ugly hospital gown I'm wearing. I wonder how Michael thought this was attractive, he must have a poor sense of fashion. Where is everyone? I thought they all wanted me to wake up. Well, now I'm up. No one is even here to congratulate me for a great job well done.

Minutes later and still no one. Family and friends, where are you? I'd even appreciate Michael if he comes here right now. I'm desperate for attention, can't blame me when I've been asleep like a bear hibernating through winter. I missed them.

I thought I was going to die and never see my loved ones again. This made me ponder how foolish I am to take my own life before. It is true that you need to go through shit, to realize shit. I can't be dead. Not now that I have finally found my reason to live. My lovely family and friends. They'd never leave me, why the hell would I?

"I told you, I can't. My brother is still in the hospital and I have a burial to attend. I'm a busy woman, just fuck off. Please." Brie ushers in my room with her phone in hand. She seems to be in a deep conversation with someone.

"You're so stupid, Cameron! How many times do I have to tell you that what happened between us was only a one time thing? Get that through your freaking thick skull and leave me alone." She snaps through the phone. I actually pity the person she was just talking to.

Cameron, huh? Who would've thought that some scrawny guy like him could score on my sister?

First of all, ew, heterosexual sex. Second, I don't want to sound like a control freak parent, but I hope they at least used protection. Brie being pregnant is not going to be good, especially if we're talking about those goddamn mood swings. Third, I'm going to beat the hell out of Cameron like the protective brother I am.

"Dammit," Brie sighs heavily before plopping down on this black leather couch looking wary. Does she not notice I'm awake?

With my throat still dry, I attempt to heave out words. "I'm so telling mom." My voice comes out muffled due to my oxygen mask.

Brie cocks her head towards me and suddenly springs out from her seat. She gapes and is actually speechless, just forming these incoherent words and phrases. She places a quivering hand on her wide open mouth as she processes what is happening before her.

"Shit, you're up!" She squeals.

"Yeah, shit."

"You're alive."

"I'm alive." I look at her weirdly.

"Is this all real?"

"I don't know..."

"I'm not dreaming, am I?"

"Do you remember falling asleep?"

Brie's eyes widen even more, if that's possible, gawking at me intensely. "You're actually up! Oh my gosh. You're alive!"