15

Ringo struggled and squeezed and fell awkwardly head first into the musty, stale smelling bar room.  

“Ringo?” George shouted, through the window, standing on the bench on the other side of it, “Are you in?”  

“No, where d’yer think I am?” Ringo replied, picking himself up and dusting his clothes down.  

“Open the door then,” George said.  

Ringo looked up at him. It was lucky the windowpane was too dirty for George to see what he mouthed at him. Ringo disappeared in search of the front door.  

“Look,” Paul said. “There’s headlights,” he nodded in the direction of the road. George turned and climbed down from the bench.  

“Typical,” he said. “The first car in an hour and its gonna pass right by us.”  

“Its turning down here,” Paul said, standing.  

Ringo finally managed to budge the rusty old bolt and pulled the door open, expecting Paul and George on the other side of it. Instead, two dazzling headlights met him. He put his hand up to shield his eyes, squinting to make out John behind the steering wheel.  

“This place was open half an hour ago,” John said confusedly, leaning out of the window, “It was… there were people in there.”  

“It hasn’t been open in years,” Paul said. “I think the cold might be getting to his brain,” he added out of the side of his mouth to George.  

John frowned, but shrugged. “Well, strange things happen on Christmas Eve,” he said, “Come ‘ed then, if you wanna get to t’pool before dawn! There’s a glass of mulled wine with my name on it!”  

“How did you get it to start?” Ringo said, stepping out of the pub’s porch.  

“Magic!” John replied. “Well, get in, then! I’m driving!”  

The three Beatles looked at each other worriedly. Paul shrugged, “Who wants to live forever, right?” he asked and stepped towards the passenger’s seat.  

Ringo and George followed hesitantly, “Geddout, you haven’t got a licence,” Ringo said opening the door for John.  

“Would you give it a rest?” John said, revving the engine. “It is Christmas y’know,” he said, looking up at the sky through the windscreen. The heavy snow clouds were beginning to disperse and the stars shone through.