12

“Fuck me,” Liam said for the third time. “It's bloody brass monkeys!”  

“It’s not much further,” John said again.  

“Do you know where you’re goin’, mate?” Liam said.  

“Liam, you could have stayed in the pub. You could have not dressed as if it’s the middle of June. But you did, so shut it,” Noel said.  

“Fuck me,” Liam said, shivering and holding his arms around his body.  

“There!” John said, elated. “There’s the car!” It had been a further journey back to the car than he had expected, and for a while he had thought he had taken the wrong direction. John hurried ahead towards the vehicle, still parked up, lopsided on the bank by the junction. Noel and Liam followed him slowly.  

“You’d better drive us back when we’ve fixed this bloody thing,” Liam complained.  

“How old's this car?” Noel asked, coming to stand next to John at the passenger’s side. “No wonders it’s broken down. It must be thirty years old or more!”  

“They’re not here,” John said, distractedly, peering through the frosted glass in to the empty, dark car.  

“Who?” Noel said.  

“Me… Me mates, I was travelling with…” John walked round to the driver’s side. “I left them here.”  

“Yeah, well, I’d leave too,” Liam said.  

“Get the bonnet up then,” Noel said, rubbing his hands together.  

John opened the door and found the leaver to flick the lid up.