V - The Search for Bryln

As Ivan and Envo raced through the thick undergrowth, Ivan was brooding over what meeting Prince Yun face to face could mean for the both of them. He chanced a peek at Envo, who was swiftly dodging branches and bulging tree roots as nimble as Jack jumping over a candlestick.

She had her hood up the entire time...so perhaps she won't be in danger...but I've definitely got a price on my head, he reasoned with a wince.

He was startled from his thoughts from a pair of violet eyes peering into his.

"AHH!" he exclaimed, stumbling backwards and tripping over a tree root. Envo promptly burst out laughing as she looked at Ivan sprawled over the forest floor, disheveled and looking peeved. She reached out a hand to help him up, giggling as he slapped it away and struggled to his feet. He glared at her.

"Don't do that, my heart just about stopped beating there!"

"Good, it needs a break," she replied tartly.

"A heart can't take a break, you dolt, you're dead then."

"But you aren't dead, are you? So it's fine."

He rolled his eyes, exasperated and deciding to get to the point.

"So? You going to tell me why you followed me?" he needled.

Envo paused in her banter and decided to begin running again, to Ivan's chagrin. He began to sprint after her, cursing the dense weeds and bushes that seemed to exist as an obstacle course between him and Envo.

He called out behind her, "You do know that you might be one of Hettleden's most wanted now, right?"

He smirked when he heard a surprised yelp, catching up to her as she stopped in her tracks, but his eyes widened when she stood on tiptoe and began shaking him by the shoulders.

"You. Are. Jesting. You're playing me for a fool, aren't you? Well, answer me!" she all but shrieked.

Ivan covered his ears, vexed by the sheer pitch of the girl's voice. His eyes hardened into stony pieces of ice, as he retorted, "If you hadn't followed me, none of this would've happened!"

"Don't you scold me! I saved your sorry arse back there, you know!"

He fell silent. That was unfortunately true. He searched his head for a comeback.

"I appreciate that," Ivan confessed, trying to be sincere and pacify her, "but I didn't ask you to. It was your choice and whether you like it or not, you brought yourself into this mess."

Envo was openly fuming. Abruptly, she stalked away from Ivan and barged through the trees in her anger. When he made to follow her, she suddenly wheeled around and blurted out, "What even is this stupid project you've been working on for nine years? Did you even finish it?"

Ivan jumped; he had completely forgotten about the scroll! He dug through his satchel, noticeably relaxing as he pulled out the scroll he had probably put inside unconsciously. Envo's eyes went from him to the scroll. There was clearly a struggle going on with herself, until her curiosity won and she came over to examine it.

Ivan hesitated for a moment, before he handed it over and watched her closely for a reaction.

As Envo unravelled the scroll and observed the map, she let out a whimper as a brief flash of pain thumped in her head.

"Ow..." she hissed, raising a hand to her temple.

Ivan took back the scroll immediately, fumbling with it as he rolled it up.

"You alright there?" he said, shooting a strange look at her. Not getting a reply, he began pressing on through the forest.

Muffled footsteps drew nearer until Envo was walking by his side again, her hood raised and her face screwed up in a grimace.