III - Nine Years

Ivan shot a glance over his shoulder as he made his way to the door, carrying everything that was in the room inside his satchel, conveniently having a charm placed on it to be light and bottomless. He had acquired the satchel from a traveling merchant that had stopped by Witch Bryln's hut in the Forest of Brynhettle, using it mostly for gathering ingredients and stealing magical items from various shops. However, he had never been more thankful for the satchel until now, considering the large quantity of items he had collected over time.

     His eyes trailed to the note he had left for Envo when she woke up from the potion. He'd be long gone by then, carrying out the promise he had made nine years ago. Briefly, he wondered if she would try to follow him, but he put the thought aside hastily. He didn't have room for another person on his mission, which was for him to do alone.

     With this in mind, he shut the door behind him, hurried up the stone steps, and sped through the tunnel.

     Time was once again of the essence.

                                                                                 *******

     A splitting headache and a room stripped bare of all the wonderful things she had seen the night before was not a pleasant way or sight to wake up to.

     Well, not completely bare, she thought, spotting a bit of parchment peeking out above the rim of the nearest shelf. Alongside it was a tiny blue bottle that concealed whatever was inside.

     Her head throbbed as she reached for the two bequests, sitting up in bed and reading the note slowly.

     Envo,

     That project I mentioned last night will finally be finished this morning before I go on my journey. I left you a pain relief potion for the headache you'll have after that sleeping one I gave. Which I don't intend to apologize for. I wish you luck on finding your family.

     Please don't follow me,

     Ivan

     Envo grit her teeth, as she finished reading. Peering at the bottle, she realized that there were a few drops of a silvery liquid that she supposed was to cure her of her headache.

     A moment later and her headache was indeed gone, just as the note had said. This gave her a chance to gather her few belongings, such as the cloak he had laid at the foot of the bed and the dagger he had obviously taken the night before by her boots.

     She was going after him. He was her best and only chance of finding her family.

     After sliding the bottle into a pocket inside her cloak, she rushed out the door as well, unconsciously brushing her hand against the fire-shaped rune on the tunnel wall to allow her exit.

     She hoped she could catch up to him.

                                                                                *******

     Clang!

     He sparred with the guard briefly, before knocking the guard's sword out of his hands and holding sleeping salts to his nose. A moment later had the guard snoring against the wall, the ends of his mustache fluttering with every breath he let out.

     Ivan surveyed the area around him carefully, consisting of shrubs and lush grass, before he took the large key ring off the guard's belt and unlocked the wooden door into the servant's quarters.