Chapter 7 - Half-Blood

Tepes Castle.

'Welcome back son.' King Sebastien greeted.

'Welcome back Prince Rosiel.' The servants chorused.

'Thank you.'

'Have you found your wife?' The king ask as they walk the hallway.

'I'm still looking.'

'But the coronation ceremony must be held on the next full moon and that is in three weeks' time. I hope you don't forget the deal.'

'I know. I always keep my promise. If you will excuse me, I would like to rest now.'

'Alright. I'll see you at dinner.'

Ross nodded as he make his way to his chamber. He felt his energy drained. He haven't drank any blood in a couple of days now so when the blood wine was served, he took his fill and finished the bottle in seconds.

After a while, his father came to his room.

'I want to know what is bothering you. You seem spaced out earlier.'

'I was thinking about the Solas. I have been hearing stuffs about them lately.'

'They are gone now so don't bother with that anymore.'

'Father, why can't you tell me why you ordered their death? Oh yes, I know that you are the one who commanded our soldiers to kill every last member of the clan. Why? That was my beloved's family that you exterminated. Because of that, half of me was killed as well. Now, why don't you tell me everything I need to know?'

The king contemplated on it for a second before he sighed. 'Alright, I will tell you about it.' And with those words, the king began his tale.

King Sebastien and Archduke Heinrich are best of friends. The king was still a prince that time and has a betrothed named Astarte, daughter of the Sangria Marquis. She is a beauty that no one can compare. Sebastien knows that Astarte loves Heinrich but their families had arranged for them to be married to each other. He loves her so much that he turns a blind eye to her every action towards his best friend. He also knows that her love is futile as a Sangria cannot be with a Solas. One of the oldest law of their species.

Then something happened one night.

Sebastien woke up with a start and went out of his balcony. There he saw Astarte going to the lake. Finding it suspicious, he followed her quietly. What he saw was something he didn't expected. Beside the lake is Heinrich. Astarte run towards him and the two kissed each other intimately. Heinrich guided her to a bench and looked at her sorrowfully.

'Astarte, we cannot continue with this anymore. Sebastien is my best friend and I don't want to continue betraying him. He is going to be your future husband. You must be faithful to him.'

'But I only love him as a friend. You are my life and I can't think of myself being with him for eternity.'

'You have to. He loves you with his whole life. Besides, it is not our destiny to be together. You are a Sangria and I a Solas. You know that once we get together, both of us will die. By the law of our kind, we are not allowed to be together.'

'I am willing to die for you love.'

'I'm sorry but as much as I love you, I will not betray my brother and my clan.'

'You love them more than me your beloved! I will not accept this. You will regret doing this to me, you bastard!'

Astarte was furious as she yelled at him and dashed back to the castle while Heinrich slouch in the bench as he stares at the lake full of sadness.

Sebastien left his spot and went back to his room depressed while thinking about what just transpired. He feels sadness for Heinrich but pride that his brother cares for him. Yet he is sorrowful at what Astarte said. He loves her more than his life but he knows he cannot have her heart.

Sebastian's coronation as next King came and everyone hailed the new king of Sangria. That same night, the marriage of Sebastien and Astarte took place but during their vows Astarte pulled Heinrich and swore that she will only love him until she dies. Everyone was shocked. Sebastien was livid at the turn of events and immediately ordered his men to take all the Solas out of his kingdom and have Astarte imprisoned for her treason. The celebration became a disaster with the two clans breaking of ties with each other.

All the Solas left the kingdom and lived in their own dukedom, Augursville. Astarte escaped from the castle and went to Augursville to see Heinrich but the Grand Duchess, Heinrich's mother, hated her so much that when she saw Astarte, she killed her by sucking her life force. Her action instigated the long feud between Solas and Sangria.

After many years, Sebastien got married to Sangria Duchess Siriana who bore their son and heir, Rosiel.

A year after, news came that the Sangria Countess Selendrile stepped down from her seat and pledged allegiance to Archduke Heinrich. It refueled the feud between the two clans. The two never got married but became allies. The Countess became the Grand Adviser of the Archduke. The feud reached its peak when Selendrile got pregnant. Everybody thinks the father is Heinrich making the child a half-blood. Because of that, both clan council wanted to kill the baby due to the fact that a half-blood will inherit all powerful abilities of both clans and can become the greatest weapon that can kill their whole race.

Heinrich and Selendrile didn't let it happen though. They were able to fake the result of the blood test made to the child allowing her to grow as a Solas. For fear of their safety and prevent a war with the Sangria, Heinrich made a pact with Sebastien to unite both clans once and for all. The betrothal of the prince and heiress.

Sebastien worries for his own clan. Solas is the bane of their existence since those people are like human and can absorb souls from any species-human and vampires alike. For Sebastien, the only way for Sangria to survive is to kill Solas so he and his council planned to exterminate Solas together with the half-blood they bred.

+++

Ross stared at the sky contemplating about the conversation he and his father had. Now that he knows what happened and the history entangling the whole race, he is torn between his bond with Aria and his responsibility to his people.

He slept restlessly that night.