Chapter 14- Alex And Debbie To The Rescue

Chapter 14-Alex And Debbie To The Rescue

Back to Zoe's POV :D

I had been awake for a good half an hour. Aiden was breathing heavily next to me, obviously still asleep. I stood up slowly, testing out all of my sore limbs. I stretched my back, flexed my fingers and extended my legs, instantly feeling better.

I rigorously patted down my legs, shorts and Aiden's' jacket, brushing off branches and soil. I ran my fingers through my hair, and picked out odd bits of greenery and brown stuff. I must've looked terrible.

It was cloudy, that day. The sun was there but hidden behind huge looming blobs of dark grey. I thought about how the weather was doing well to reflect my emotions.

While looking up at the sky, I heard Aiden start to wake behind me. I panicked for a second. What sort of friendship would we have after yesterday? Yesterday, I had seen a whole different side of him as he had me. Oh my God! He had held my hand. I panicked more thinking about the hand-holding. Would he mention it?

"Hey." He said groggily, rubbing his eyes and yawning.

"Hey." I smiled awkwardly.

He propped himself up into a sitting position and leant on the tree we had picked as our shade last night. He closed his eyes and sat for a moment or two.

"Still going 'north' right?"

I let out a relieved sigh and smiled. He didn't bring up yesterday, which I was glad for. He sounded normal with his usual teasing tone.

"Seeing as you don't have a better idea-yes."

His eyes flashed open and he smirked. My stomach twisted a little but I ignored it. It had been doing that the whole of yesterday too. I blamed it on the hunger.

He got up quickly and picked up my white tee, brushing it down. He brushed off all the dirt from himself too before we fell into step and started walking again.

We walked slowly as our legs were quite sore. I dreaded thinking about having to spend another night in that forest.

"D'you think we're ever going to get home?" I asked quietly. My steps were heavy and I was dragging my feet across the floor.

"Course we will. I promise." Aiden said breezily.

I rolled my eyes. He must've noticed because he stopped abruptly.

"Hey." He turned me round to face him and gripped my shoulders. Grey eyes blazing with determination and mouth set, he shook me slightly with every syllable. "I promise we'll get back."

I nodded feebly, my own eyes locked on his.

I believed him.

***

Aiden was beat boxing. I was rapping.

"'Coz I'm walkin' in the forest with the swag I never had,

Puttin' Bieber to shame and now he's getting mad,

'Coz he's jealous of Zoe and that's just rad,

Hanging here with Aiden, he's my favourite lad,

Yeah, he's got his very own bachelor pad.

Can't think of any rhymes, and that's just sad."

I finished with a flourish, proud of my rap, while Aiden laughed uncontrollably.

Aiden wiped a tear from his face. "I never thought you had it in you, Zoe. I'm impressed." He said, nodding in approval yet trying to reign in his laughter.