Our Everlasting Melody (33)

Start from the beginning

I said nothing more. My best friend needed me, and that was all that mattered. I didn't even tell my mother where I was going; I just hopped right off the couch and to my car. If she grew worried, she could call me.

All the way to the hospital, I called Blake. When none of my calls were answered, I texted him. I got no reply.

It took me ten minutes to get to the hospital, and I ran in, fearing the worst. Sean did not sound good over the phone, and I knew that was a bad sign. I didn't know what had happened to Jaz, but I knew that it was not good.

I found Sean in the waiting room, sitting with his head in his hands. I was almost afraid to approach him. I did not want to know why he was upset; I didn't want to know what had happened to Jaz. They had only gotten together a few weeks before, and now...

"Sean," I gulped once I reached him, sitting down beside him and tentatively touching his shoulder. "What's wrong? What happened to Jaz?"

He finally looked up at me, and what I saw made my jaw drop. Sean had tears in his eyes. Sean had tears pouring down his cheeks. Sean was crying, and this immediately made me start crying, too.

I had only ever seen Sean Bakersfield cry once before this. He was thirteen, and I was twelve. His family was over at my house for dinner, and while our mothers were cooking, Sean and our fathers were outside playing football. His dad said it was because he wanted to show off in front of me, and back then I only thought it was because Sean was full of himself.

When his dad had tackled him, he somehow landed on Sean wrong, twisting his leg. I heard the crack before anyone else did, maybe even Sean himself, and immediately started screaming. I didn't know if it was because I knew Sean was hurt, or because just the sound brought images to my head that I wished Iwould never have to see.

When he realized what had happened, Sean started crying as well, though he tried to hide it as hard as he could because I was watching. But he could only hide it so much. His leg was completely bent out of shape, and after being rushed to the hospital, the doctor said that it was so bad that there was a possibility Sean would never be able to walk again. Luckily, he made a full recovery and was perfectly fine within a year.

Sean hadn't ever cried for Cassie before. He hadn't even cried for me; at least, not that I was aware of. If losing Jaz was as painful as breaking his leg almost to the point where he could never walk again, I knew how much he cared for her without even having to ask.

"She was in a car accident," he explained, letting out a deep breath. "She was in a bad car accident."

There wasn't anything I could say; I just stayed completely silent. I was afraid that if I did say anything, I would just upset him even more. And that was definitely not something I wanted to do.

"Is Blake coming?" Sean asked me now when he saw that I wasn't going to say anything.

I shrugged. "I don't know for sure, but I don't think so," I answered honestly. "I've called and texted him like a hundred times, but he hasn't answered me yet. I have no idea why.'

Honestly, I was kind of scared. I didn't know why Blake wasn't responding, and it just worried me. He always got back to me right away, and now that he wasn't... I didn't know what was going on.

When a doctor stepped out and asked who was here for Jaz Williams, both Sean and I shot up. I didn't know where Jaz's parents were, but I wasn't about to ask that question at that moment.

"How is she?" Sean asked, sounding so desperate that it broke my heart. "How is she doing?"

"I'm sorry," the doctor began, a solemn look on his face. "I don't think there's anything else we can do. I don't think she's going to make it."