Our Everlasting Melody (33)

Start from the beginning

"We've been going out ever since Blake woke up," I clarified simply, looking down at my nails.

Now, everyone at the table except for Derrick and Thomas looked absolutely shocked. Blake had woken up in August. It was now May. That was definitely a long time, though we hadn't been together for all nine months.

"We broke up in January, two months before I started dating Christian," I now continued, just so they wouldn't be too confused when they remembered that I had dated another boy at this table during these nine months. "And we just got back together on prom night."

My friends looked absolutely stunned. Thomas and Derrick looked smug. Blake and I did nothing but continue to hold hands under the table.

"We understand why you all wanted us to stay away from each other back then," Blake now told them, and he squeezed my hand, "but we didn't agree with it. So we secretly dated behind all of your backs. And unfortunately, after a while, we let what you guys said get to our heads. We really thought that we were unhealthy. But then we realized that we weren't the unhealthy ones, it was the people around us."

"We realized that the only reason we ever got close to being unhealthy is because we lied to you guys," I continued. "We lied to you and told you we were single. Because of that, we had people coming onto us. Mona with Blake, and Christian with me. That's completely natural. But we got ridiculously jealous and let it ruin our relationship for a while. Keeping it a secret ruined our relationship. So we're not going to keep it a secret anymore, because that was the only unhealthy thing about it."

We let what others thought of us influence us too much, but that was about to change. All my life, I wanted to please people, but I was never able to. But now, I've accepted it. I knew life wasn't fair, and I wasn't going to be able to please everyone. That was just how life was supposed to be.

The fact that Blake and I were back together took some time for Cassie to get used to. Everyone else accepted it almost right away, but she was skeptical. But I was expecting her to be this way, because she was still Cassie and she hadn't changed all that much. She was friends with Blake, but she hadn't ever liked the fact that we were together. She had always preferred me with Sean or Christian, two guys that she had ended up dating herself.

Two weeks after Blake and I had gotten together, I was lying on my couch on a Saturday, flipping through channels lazily. Everything was pretty much back to how they used to be, and I was unbelievably happy. Even my parents didn't have a problem with Blake and me getting back together. At first they weren't very happy about it, but they finally accepted that Blake was the only person who could make me very happy.

The only person we hadn't told was Carrie, and that was because I was actually very afraid of how she would react to it. I still didn't know who hit me with a car, or why they even hit me. But every time I looked down at my stupid cast, I was reminded of how someone wanted me dead.

When my phone started ringing from the coffee table, I almost fell off of the couch trying to reach for it. I really hoped that it was Blake that was calling me, because I hadn't been able to reach him all day, and I didn't know why. Snatching it, I was able to regain my balance and stay on the couch, answering it without even looking at the caller ID.

"Hello?" I greeted cheerfully.

"Leah, you need to come to the hospital, now," the person on the other line ordered, and I immediately recognized the voice to be Sean's.

I immediately grew terrified. "Why? What's wrong?"

"It's Jaz," he answered, choked up. My breath immediately caught in my throat. "She... she... Leah, I just really need you here right now."