Chapter 26

"Where is she?" Polly asked a she rushed towards Tommy, who was sitting outside the operating theatre "How is she?" She added. Bear, John, Arthur and Esme arrived after her.

"I don't know, they just took her...They took her away from me Pol" Tommy was obviously in shock, his hands were still covered in his wife's blood.

"Did they say anything?" Bear wondered and Tommy shook his head.

"No" he looked so lost.

"I brought some of her things, and things for the baby" Polly put a brown bag down on the floor near Tommy's feet "Tommy" she gently brushed his arm and Tommy's head flicked up.

"I can't lose her Polly, I just can" he said as he fought his tears.

"You won't, Ana's strong" Polly replied.

×××××××××

Tommy had been pacing the corridor for what felt like an age, his wife had been snatched away from his grip and now he felt powerless.

"Mr Shelby" A male doctor spoke sternly. Tommy nodded and the doctor gave him his full attention.

"How is she? Is she alright?" Tommy asked urgently, Esme was surprised he didn't ask about his child.

"I won't lie to you, I'm afraid the outcome looked bleak for a while Mr Shelby" Tommy's eyes looked hurt "However your wife has surprised us all with her strength and quite possibly her stubborness, we lost her briefly but she somehow fought her way back to us"

Tommy let his head roll back as he exhaled "Thank you god"

"Now I'm afraid she is still unconcious and her condition is still very serious, but the way she has fought so far I don't see the next steps being a problem" The doctor sighed and then paused "Mr Shelby there is something else, but it's of a private nature"

Tommy stepped away from his his family "What is it?" Tommy was deeply concerned.

"I'm afraid in order to save your wife we had to perform a hysterectomy" the doctor hesitated "We had to remove her womb, I'm afraid she won't be able to have any more children"

"Right, if that's what it takes then so be it..." Tommy didn't even seem upset by the doctors revelation "Doctor you haven't mention the baby, is it alright? Did it survive?"

"Oh yes the baby is fine, very strong just like his Mother" the doctor smiled.

"His?" Tommy felt the corners of his mouth lift "It's a boy then? I have a son?"

"Yes you do, congratulations Mr Shelby" the doctor grinned and patted Tommy's shoulder.

"It's a boy Polly" Tommy beamed as Polly approached.

"Oh Tommy that's grand and how about Ana?" Polly was worried.

"She's going to be alright aswell Pol" Tommy felt like a weight had lifted from his chest.

"Can I see her?" Tommy asked the doctor quickly as Polly and Esme rushed towards the nursery.

"Of course" the doctor pointed towards Ana's room. It was a little dark and grim looking, Ana had a tube attached to her forearm.
"What's that for?" Tommy asked and the doctor smiled.

"It's a blood transfusion Mr Shelby, your wife lost a lot of blood during the operation" Tommy nodded his approval and sat beside his wife "Is this the only room...Don't you have somewhere with a window?"

"Yes but they are for our more..." the doctor was trying to be as polite as possible.

"Does it look like money is a problem for me and my family? Do I look like I can't afford a private room? I want her to have the best possible treatment, no expense spared do you understand?" Tommy's tone was almost threatening.

"Of course Mr Shelby I'll see its taken care of" the doctor nodded.

×××××××××

Bear left Tommy alone with Ana for a while before entering her room, he inhaled deeply when he saw the tube and how still Ana was "Is she alright Tommy?"

"Yeah" Tommy answered quickly "Yeah she's alright" Bear stood behind Tommy and just watched Ana's chest rise and fall "I need you to do something for me..."

××××××××××

Three middle aged men entered the warehouse and looked around at the carnage, one of them had his eyes fixated on Charles Gillespie "I warned him no good would come from this, I told him not to underestimate Thomas Shelby, especially where Anastasia was involved"

"So what happens now?" Another man asked "Are we going after Shelby?"

"No, my brother's hatred for him was unjustified in my eyes. He had a simple score to settle, a sick twisted score...any hardship towards Mr Shelby would be bad for business" the Gillespie man spoke calmly considering the mess surrounding him.

"So he gets away with it?" The younger of the three men finally spoke.

"Yes" the Gillespie man sighed "It was a war between two men and the better man won...I won't be led by my brothers hatred, he's dead, it's time to lead this company with business"

××××××××××

Tommy had been left alone with Ana, she had been moved to a room with a window. Tommy has opened it a little so Ana would get some air "Tommy" Polly's voice caused Tommy to turn quickly. He saw the bundle she was carrying in her arms "I thought you might like to meet your son? And I knew you wouldn't leave Ana so I spoke to the sister and..." Polly lowered the tiny baby into Tommy's arms and he took him.

"Hello baby" Tommy whispered gently "It's good to meet you" he smiled widely.

"How does it feel? Holding your son in your arms?" Polly asked gently and Tommy grinned "It's out of this world isn't it, all the love you have for such a tiny thing"

"You can say that again" Tommy sighed when the baby gripped his finger tightly "He's strong"

"Course he is, he came out of me" a frail voice whispered from behind him, Tommy's heart lifted instantly.

"Ana" Tommy gasped.

"Hello my love, let's have a look at him then?" She smiled her response. Tommy laid the baby next to Ana on his pillow "Oh good lord he's got the Shelby nose" Ana chuckled weakly and Tommy laughed.

He didn't speak he just kissed Ana's lips, then her cheek "I swear I've never been so scared" Tommy admitted and Ana reached up and touch his face "I thought I'd lost you"

"Never" Ana looked deep into Tommy's eyes "You have me my love"

"And you have me" Tommy replied, before kissing Ana's forehead. Polly smiled as she watched Tommy and Ana, she had never seen Tommy so relieved...