Introduction

Birmingham, November 10th 1919

Even the bleak midwinter air wasn't a match for Tommy Shelby, battered and bruised and his eyes still blood red from his latest scuffle, as he staggered along the dark unlit road towards his pub.

He pushed the doors open and walked towards the bar, without so much as a word between them the barman had set a drink of single malt whiskey on the bar top.

"Evening Mr Shelby" A few men greeted Tommy without even so much as a flutter of an eyelid for the blood on his shirt.

"Tommy" Arthur, Tommy's older brother greeted him with a firm hug and took a step back to assess the damage "Is it sorted?"

"It's sorted" Tommy scowled before necking his drink, and banging his glass down to demand another.

"Drinks on the house boys" Arthur yelled out, Tommy's attention was now on the weedy looking boy in the corner. Tommy necked his second drink before slamming his empty glass on the bar and lighting the cigarette he had placed loosely between his lips.

"News from London?" Tommy spoke sternly and the boy seemed uneasy in Tommy's presence. The boy nodded nervously and Tommy urged him to speak.

"They say he's on the move Mr Shelby, no-one knows how close he is but he's getting closer" the fear in the boys eyes were obvious to everyone now.

"Right" Tommy looked to John his younger brother "I'm going to see Charlie about a boat. It looks like I might need to take a little trip to London"

"Shall we ask Poll to take care of things" Arthur was the more aggressive, quick tempered of the three brothers.

"No Arthur" Tommy kept calm, but he was a sinister tone in his voice "There's no need, because you'll be here to take care of things. I'm going alone"

"But Tommy" John interupted and Tommy shot him down with a fierce look in his eye.

"I'm going alone, right?" He threatened and John quickly nodded "Good" Tommy made his way back to the bar necking his drink and picking up his flat peaked cap, before heading to the door and disappearing back into the cold winter darkness.

××××××

It was a four day journey to London on a canal boat, but that was all Charlie could spare. The shipment leaving the docks later that week required 3 of his best barges.

"We're here Tommy" Billy announced as he knocked on the top of the canal boats roof. Tommy opened the door, exposing him to the dull gloomy air of London. Motor cars honked on the nearby streets as Tommy pulled his body weight up the four steps and onto the riverbank.

"London town" Tommy pursed his lips and lit a cigarette before walking out of the docks and into the crazy London streets.

"Do you need a guide Mister?" A young Cockley boy approached the well dressed Shelby.

"Not today lad" Tommy replied, he didn't need a guide because Tommy Shelby knew exactly where he was going.

He was going back to the house he had left her in. Sending her a message wouldn't have been enough, the last words Tommy said to this woman were "Don't trust anyone who isn't any peaky blinder"

And news like this needed to come from someone who was more than a Peaky Blinder, it needed to be done in person.

Tommy walked over the bridge and headed for the large grey town houses, he ran up the steep steps effortlessly and knocked firmly on the door "Mr Shelby" the smartly dressed Butler opened the door allowing the door to open wider so Tommy could go inside.

Tommy quickly scanned the street before closing the door behind him, as he turned he heard the clicking of a woman's heels on the tile floor "Tommy" The gentle voice gasped as she stood and stared at the man in front of her "Your not supposed to be getting here until next week"

"Yeah plans have changed" Tommy allowed his eyes to wonder down the beautiful woman in front of him.

"You're 'urt" The woman said as she rushed towards Tommy and took his hand in hers and gently tacked his grazed knuckles with her fingertips "Is that the reason you're 'ere?" Her accent was identical to the one Tommy had.

"No love, he's on the move" Tommy replied as his breathing quickened at the closeness between him and this woman. This beautiful red haired, Green eyed, petite pale skinned woman.

Her confidence caused a fire to rage inside him "Is he the reason you're 'urt, my love?"

"No" Tommy shook his head "That was other business"

The red head nodded before moving even closer to this threatening figure, she didn't seem to fear him at all "Is that all you came here for Tommy, to warn me?"

"Not exactly" Tommy took a breath in before reaching his hand fiercely around the woman's neck and kissing her passionately "God I've missed you Ana" he gasped, before kissing her again.

Their lips collided into eachother as he pushed his body hard into hers, sending her crashing into to wall. Tommy allowed his hands to move down the woman's torso, as he pressed closer to her. She let out a moan as his hands moved up her thighs and lifted her swiftly off the ground, the red head had her legs wrapped around Tommy's waist as he used his body to hold her off the floor while he used the other hand to unbutton her dress.

The woman lifted Tommys shirt over his head and in a explosion of lust she reached down into his trousers...

×××××××

Gentle moans filled the house as the maids went about their business "Is that Mrs..."

"Mr Shelby's home" The Butler informed them with a firm nod. The maids smirked and whispered giddily amongst themselves.

"Probably not a good idea to stoke up a fire in a drawing room tonight then Grace" the cook chuckled "They could be in there for hours"

×××××××××××

"Well where is he?" Polly yelled furiously "Why does he never run things by me first?"

"It was urgent Poll" Arthur defended his brother instinctively as their Aunt lashed out "He's in London, there's trouble"

"Ana" Pollys first concerns were for the woman Tommy was keeping in London.

"It's alright Polly, that's why he's there. She'll be safe, Tommy won't let anything happen to her" Arthur reassured her.

"That's what I'm worried about Arthur" Polly poured herself a brandy.

"When it comes to that woman Tommy knows no boundaries. The last thing he needs to do is draw attention to himself before he's even started expanding the business" Polly warned and Arthur took a drink from Polly.

"He won't risk drawing attention to Ana Poll, don't forget why she's there in the first place" Arthur reminded his Aunt of the incident that ended with Tommy Shelby's wife moving to London...