CHAPTER 20

"There's honestly nothing more to discuss, alright? These things happen and there's no going back." Mason said as he paced towards the other end of the tent, almost as though he were attempting to get away from you. If that was the case, he wasn't doing a good job.

You clenched your jaws, digging your fingers into your bicep as you crossed your arms before your chest. You were really trying not to holler at the top of your lungs at this point. "So what? We're killers now? The Ambassadors just go around blowing the brains out of innocent people?"

"That man was not innocent! Not even close! You weren't there when he aimed the pistol at the kid! You didn't see how he cocked the gun without blinking!"

Barnes was watchful of the whole situation, surprised that no other Ambassador spoke out in the quarrel. Especially after what Mason last said, everyone went pin-drop silent. Even you had grown soundless, which was strange and foreign for the Winter Soldier. But seeing expressions contort on your face to a grimace then to a frown, he knew that Mason had done well in his convincing. You swallowed the lump in your throat, the gulp more audible then you would have desired. You pressed your back against the shelf and stared at the ground for a moment or two before you cleared your throat. "So. What the hell are we going to do now?"

"Very good question," Mason muttered, heaving a sigh. "The last thing we need is for details about the incident spread through the Ambassadors. People will definitely misuse this in the next missions we'd have."

"Misuse?" Ethan finally chirped in as he raised a brow.

"What else would you expect? If the boss does something uses his gun, then that only means everyone else can do it too. The second people hear about this, they'll literally swinging weapons around for fun. It's not right."

"So this conversation stays within this tent, correct?"

"Exactly."

"How about the kid?" Barnes had asked the question that should have been the conversation starter. Mason, although had a little hatred for the man in black, was happy that someone mentioned eventually.

"Well, we're going to have to watch over him till I get contact with the parents. I'm not entirely certain but I remember that there was some broadcast about a recent child kidnapping. This might have to do with our kid."

"Alright, seems straight forward. So who's taking care of the kid?" Goro finally inquired.

Who else would it be, huh?

Despite the fact that Goro is the one with the motherly healing abilities, they decided to give you the responsibilities of taking care of the kid to you.

It would have been a great idea if you didn't despise children, but there was no going back now.

You weren't too bad. At least, you didn't think. You were a woman and you knew a little bit about babies, here and there. All you had to do was let logic take the wheel and all else would be settled nicely. Of course, the crying, burping, puking and wailing was not the most pleasant aspect of the whole mission but it would have to do.

You weren't too happy about everyone else having it easy, either. You thought someone would have come by and helped you out, but all the asshóles turned a blind eye to you. And some pitiful beings even had the audacity to tell you to keep the crying down at nights.

Son of a fücking gun.

It was nice that Barnes aided you a little though. It was blessing now that you thought about it.

You'd only seen Bucky three times in the two week. You knew how many only because the memories were burnt into your mind. He had kept his distance from the warehouse since the incident because one, he didn't want to get himself into the torrent of trouble it would bring, and two, he could probably gain more information from the outside. Considering his friend was Captain America, it seemed like a valid point so no one questioned his absence.