A Happy Holiday

"Merry Christmas!" My mom cheered as she walked into the house. "And merry Christmas to you too, little one." She cooed as she laid her hand on my belly.
"You know you can't do that once other people get here, right mom?"
"Yeah whatever, I know. Chris are you excited?"
"I don't think there's anyone more excited than I am, mom." He grinned, hugging her.
"Where's dad?"
"Bringing up the gifts. When did you guys put up the tree?"
"Yesterday. Can you believe he kept me up until 1:30 talking about some damn ornaments."
"He's a bit excitable."
"Hey, Mama. Where's pops?"
"Downstairs, Christopher is that another tattoo?" She pointed out the tattoo behind his ear."
"Cara and I may or may not have gotten matching tattoos."
"He's lying mom. I didn't get a tattoo."
"Stop ruining my fun babe."
"You go check on my cake before I hurt you, boy."
"How do I know if it's ready to come out?"
"If the icing doesn't smudge when you touch it."

Chris walked off into the kitchen to see if my cake was ready for the final coat of frosting while I stood at the door greeting the guests. My dad finally made it upstairs with the gifts mom probably forced him to buy. After placing everything under the tree he greeted me.

"Merry Christmas, baby girl." He smiled, pecking my forehead.
"Thanks. Merry Christmas, dad." I responded with a smile.

Our relationship has grown and improved since he came into my life. I don't hold any remorse for him or a grudge against him. No matter what happened, he's still my dad. And he chose on his own accord to enter my life to make things right. As I greeted Chris' friends I couldn't help but notice Red didn't show up. I shrugged it off and kept greeting. As I closed the door, I felt Chris' familiar hand on the small of my back.

"It didn't smudge."
"Thank you baby. Take care of everyone for a while. I'm gonna go finish up."

I gave him a chance to nod before I turned away and headed into the kitchen myself.

 We invited all of Chris' friends and their partners if they had one, along with anyone that I knew well enough to invite over. That was limited to Yasmyn since Ana came with Michael in the first place. I didn't keep in much contact with the girls from the Sex Ed. class because quite honestly there was no need. I wasn't particularly close with anyone besides Yas anyway. I invited Jacob but I knew that he probably wouldn't make it being that he was always so busy. While in the kitchen finishing up the last  bit of decoration for the cake I could hear all of the guests mingling and introducing themselves to my parents. once finished, I carefully carried the cake out to the living room to sit it on the table amidst the guests. Chris' friends greeted me as usual and thanked us for inviting them. Looking around, everyone seemed to be smiling and having a good time already. it gave me a warm feeling in my heart.

In the middle of festivities as everyone was sharing stories about things they would do during the holidays or what they would have been doing if not for attending this party, there was another knock at the door. I went to open it myself. Opening the door revealed a familiar face that I was more than happy to see.

"Jacob!" I cheered happily.
"It's me! Happy holidays!"

Heads snapped in the direction of the door and I could hear my mother cheering his arrival.

"Back so soon!?"
"You know I wouldn't miss a Christmas party." He smiled.

Stepping aside, he revealed a guest he'd brought along with him. She was shorter than him, dirty blonde hair and blue eyes. She greeted us shyly.

"Jacob, is this your—"
"She is." He grinned. "For maybe a month now."
"Nice to meet you! I'm Cara, what's your name?"
"I'm Victoria. It's really nice to meet you." She finally broke a smile in response to mine. Her accent was just as thick as his. "Jacob's told me so much about you on the way here."
"She was so nervous. She thought you were gonna be scary."
"Come in guys! I don't bite, I promise."