The Test

Cara

I walked into the house with grocery bags hanging from my arms. My mother poked her head out of the kitchen.

"Welcome home."
"Thanks."

Hearing it now, I missed Chris' house already. I walked past her and set the groceries on the counter.

"Mom. I'm an adult. Why are you treating me like a child?"
"Because you're my child. And no matter how old you get you'll always be my youngest."
"I'm the only one."
"Your point? Look, I'm here because I care about your well-being. I need to know that you're not out here like all these other college girls partying and drinking. Having all types of sex with strange men."
"The guy I'm having sex with is no stranger." I mutter bluntly, while putting things into the fridge.
"What did you say?"
"I have a boyfriend, mom."
"Who is he? Where does he work? Does he work? How come you never told me?"
"Listen, that's not important. And you'll get to meet him soon enough."
"Are you having sex with him?"
"...Yeah."
"Are you protecting yourself?"
"Um...recently no..."

She frowned at me. I sighed and sat on the counter. Here comes the fucking lecture.

"How many times did I tell you growing up that once you start having sex you have to wear a condom? Are you on birth control?"
"Actually I am."
"You know it's not always effective. Honey you have to stay protected. You never know what someone has."
"You're right. But I get checked every six months."

She eyed me skeptically.

"Mhmm. Does he work?"
"Yes. He works."
"Where does he work?"
"...He's an artist." It's not exactly a lie.
"And how are you holding up in school?"
"I'm doing okay. GPA is the same as last time you heard from me."
"Hasn't risen any?"
"Hasn't dropped any."
"You can't stay stationary forever, Cara."
"Mom."
"Don't mom me. Could you at least try to bring it up some? Are you still skipping classes?"
"No..."
"You said you have exams coming up. Why haven't I seen you studying?"
"I already know everything I need to know."
"How would you know that. Do you have the test?"
"I have study guides from all my classes."
"Fine."

She started slicing berries and after a long period of silence she put the knife down and turned to me.

"I wanna meet your boyfriend."
"Mom!"
"I wanna know who's dating my daughter."
"Are you sure about that? Cause every boy who's ever said he wanted to date me has suddenly ran off after meeting you."
"If they can't handle a little intimidation they don't need to be with your feisty ass."
"True..."

We stayed quiet with my occasional humming until dinner. My phone buzzed with a text message from Chris.

Hey baby girl. I miss you.
Think you can sneak away later?

Actually...you can come by.
My mom...wants to meet you...

Really? I'm guessing you
didn't tell her you're fucking
your Art professor.

Hey! Well...she won't have to
worry about my grade falling...

Bullshit. Skip my class again
I'mma fuck you numb AND
give you a D for the semester.

Bet money you don't never get
your dick sucked again.

We'll see about that.