Chapter 9: Gods Can Watch

NED

Eddard Stark had insisted in speaking with Lyanna. So she was standing there, waiting for a word.

"I knew what I was doing." Lyanna broke the silence.

"No, you did not. You were reckless, Lyanna." Ned said with worry. "You could have been hurt or worse."

"If I die, I die. But first I will fight." The girl stepped closer. "I will hold my sword with pride and honor, like you taught me, and if it gets me killed, so be it."

Lord Stark didn't know how to reply. She was a proud young woman, she almost seemed like a true wolf. Then he remembered, the day he found her little body in the woods and brought her to the warm of Winterfell.

"You bring me another baby," Catelyn looked away from the small bundle. "and expect me to welcome her and love her when I couldn't even love your own blood?"

"She is all alone Catelyn, she has no one and that is not right." Eddard grabbed the little hand.

"I remember the day I brought you to Winterfell." Ned started. "You were so little that I was afraid you would break, but you never did. You had the eyes of a little warrior, you still do."

Lyanna smiled widely. "I want to be able to protect myself. I want to be strong."

"You are going to be a strong woman, Lyanna." Lord Stark nodded. "Believe me, you may not see it but I do."

The silence fell into the room. Not for long.

"What happened to Lord Tyrion?" She asked, curious.

"Nothing you need to worry about." Ned assured.

"But the Lannisters almost killed you. What if they try again?" Lyanna was worried.

"That is my problem, not yours. You are just a girl." Eddard replied.

"You said I'm - "

" - Not yet, Lyanna ." Lord Stark sighed. "Worry about growing up for now, ok?"

And just like that the talk was finished leaving no more space for questions. Eddard asked her to wait for a few more moments for her sisters, they were called to meet with him. The man couldn't afford having his family in harm ways, in any kind of danger, they were just children and it was his responsability to protect them.

"I'm sending the three of you back to Winterfell." Ned let out.

"You can't!" Lyanna eye's widened.

"What?!" Sansa jumped.

"Listen -"

"What about Joffrey?" She snapped.

"Are you dying because of your leg?" Arya drew everyone's attention. "Is that why you're sending us home?"

Lyanna looked over her little sister, in a sign of fear. The girls started begging, Arya because of her lessons with Syrio and Sansa because of the prince. The black haired remained silent.

"This isn't a punishment." Eddard explained. "I want you back in Winterfell for your own safety."

That moment Lord Stark could see Lyanna had understood that something was going on and whatever it was, he was trying to protect them all. He knew she respected that.

"Can we take Syrio with us?" The little girl asked.

"Who cares about your stupid dancing teacher?" Sansa spat. "I can't go. I'm supposed to marry Prince Joffrey. I love him and I'm meant to be his Queen and have his babies."