Chapter 21

"Echo wait." Those were the words I wanted to here, but they never came. I didn't even know where I was going, I was just aimlessly walking around trying to find some food and weapons before I head back to the Scorch where I belong.

    As I was walking I saw a weapons room and walked in. The walls were filled with weapons I've never even seen. I grabbed a backpack and started filling it up with knives, a gun with a butt load of ammunition, and I grabbed an axe. I zipped up my backpack and put the axe in a side pocket of the backpack, (I put a hole through the bottom so the handle hung lower.) I left the room and went to find some sort of kitchen. If I was going to go back to the scorch I'm going to need some from of food. After a few minutes I finally found a kitchen. There wasn't much food left so I gathered what I could of canned goods and water bottles, which thankfully there was an abundance of those. I left and headed to find an exit.

~Newt's P.O.V~ (I thought I would give it a try)

    She.. She fell in love with me. I felt my hands shaking, Thomas' blood still on them. What did I do? Everything in my body was screaming at me to go get her, but I couldn't. She caused Thomas to die. I crouched down and put my hands on my head. I don't know what to do! I looked over at Thomas' lifeless body. It was him that helped me come back and find her, he was the only one willing to. My eyes got wide. He would want me to find her. I stood up. I'm going to find her. For Tommy.

    I ran through the halls, screaming her name. I don't know which way she went. She could be gone already.

"Echo! Please come back!" I yelled, looking through every doorway I pass. I stopped when I was a weapons room, the door wide open. She would have gone there, then food more or likely. I ran as fast as I could to find the kitchen. When I did there was still no sign of her.

She's already gone...

I screamed in frustration and hit something off of the table near me. How can I be so stupid to let her go? Again. I raced out and tried to find the nearest exit. She would have headed back to the scorch.

   Once I found an exit I pushed the door open and stopped. The Gladers were still there, gathered around something. I quietly pushed through the crowd. My heart dropped when I saw Echo cowering on the ground, her face splattered with blood. Minho was standing above her, his fist clenched and covered with blood.

"Now what did you do with Thomas and Newt? Kill them and eat them like the crank you are?" Minho sneered.

"I... I.. I didn't do anything." She cried, "I didn't touch them I swear."

"You had to or they would be back right now." Minho said. "Now where are they?" He yelled.

She cried louder, "I don't know! I left! Let me go back to the scorch where I belong!"

He laughed, "You really think we're going to let you go, hell even live after what you did?"

"I didn't do anything!" She screamed back, "Just let me-"

She was cut off by Minho's fist colliding with her jaw. I finally came to my senses and jumped in, grabbing Minho before he could hit her again.

"Leave her alone!" I screamed and pushed him to the ground. I stood protectively over Echo. The Gladers were chanting Minho's name.

"You shouldn't have done that." Minho growled. He got up and swung a punch at me but I dodged it just in time. I kicked him to the ground.

"That's enough! I don't want to fight you Minho!" I yelled at him.

"That's because you're a wimp! A shuck faced wimp that can't do anything except hobble around and try to kill yourself!" He yelled. Everyone stopped chanting.

"You shut your bloody mouth." I growled.

"What? I think as a leader everyone you're leading should know everything about you." Minho gave a devilish grin.

"Everyone!" He started, "Our dearest Newt here trie-"

"Stop!" I ran at him and pushed him to the ground and started punching his face in. After the first few punches he was out, but I kept going, rage fueling my punches. Suddenly I was yanked back. I was breathing heavy and was ready to attack again but someone still had a hold of me. I looked behind me and saw Echo was holding on to me. I saw her eye was swollen shut, her nose was pouring blood and her lip was busted.

"Let's go why he's down." She whispered. I nodded my head and got up, helping her as well. The Gladers were around Minho, probably trying to see if he would wake up.  I grabbed her hand and we ran away from the group, she lead me back into WICKED headquarters. When we got in she shut the door and locked it.

"Why are we going back in here?" I asked as we ran through the halls.

"Food, shelter, other supplies. In here is our best way of survival for now. Why I was out there I noticed a storm coming." She explained. She stopped when we got back to the kitchen.

"So.. Why did you come after me?" She asked.

"So I could do this." I cupped her face and gently pressed my lips against hers. I didn't want to hurt her lips more. I pulled back.

"I'm a shuck face. I know. I'm sorry for yelling at you and not going after you at first. I'm sorry for them too. Minho, he's not right in the head anymore." I said, letting my head hang.

"You are a shuck face." She giggled, "Wait, what's a shuck face?"

I laughed and smiled at her, "Glader slang."

She laughed and brought me into a hug.

"Thank you for coming back for me. Even if it took you three thousand years." She said.

I playfully and gently hit her back, "Shut up." We both laughed and pulled apart. My stomach growled and she laughed.

"Lets get some food." She said.

A/N

    Hello peoples! How are you guys? How's your summer going? How are you liking the story? Well, I really hope you enjoy it because it's coming to an end. Either next chapter or the one after will be the end. I love you guy so much! Thank you all for reading!!

Comment, Follow, Vote? Pretty please with a cherry on top!

   ~ Talk to you later shanks! ~ Emily