Chapter 7

BANG!
    I instantly sat up, panicked. I looked around and saw Newt was gone.
BANG!
I jumped up and had my knife ready. The pain in my arm was a low throb but it was still painful whenever I moved.
BANG!
    I snapped my head in the direction where the noise was coming from. Another bang erupted from the same direction then followed by voices. Munie voices. My feet were barely touching the ground as I ran towards the voices.
    I turned a corner and there was the group of Munies surrounded by a few cranks. Newt was amongst them, wielding a make shift spear. I looked at the cranks, none of them I recognized. I step away from the corner and headed towards them.
"Good job guys." I said with a confident voice. All eyes were on me.
"Who are you?" One of the cranks said holding a frying pan and a wooden spoon. He was probably the one making the noise from earlier.
"I work for Benny." I said. Their eyes widened. I gave a wicked smile.
"And he gave me specific orders to take they guys from you and straight to him." I said pacing in front of the group, not looking at anyone.
"I've never seen you before." A different crank said. "And I'm Benny's best friend."
I laughed like a crank past the gone would. "I've known him my whole life. I've been his second in comand of this place for a long time buddy. Now hand the munies over or you're gonna be crank food."
They all stepped away from the group of boys, retreating back into the dark alleyways.
"Follow me." I told them after I knew the cranks were gone.
"No!" Someone said. I bit my lip knowing I couldn't argue with them. There were too many of them. Newt emerged from the group and stood in front of me.
"Do you really work for Benny?" He asked. I shook my head.
"Then why'd you say that?" He asked.
"I'm going to save you guys. Tell them to trust me and follow me." I said. "I can't talk to them."
He nodded his head and returned back to his friends. I sae him talking to... Minow I think his name was, and Thomas, I remembered his name because it's plastered on every wall in the city.
    After a few minutes Newt walked back over to me.
"They want to talk to you." He said. I gulped.
"Not all of them just the two I was talkin' to." He explained. I looked over at them.
"You have to be over here as well." I said. He nodded his head and then turned around and gestured for the two boys to come over. They walked over here and stood next tp Newt.
"This is Minho and Thomas." Newt said. I nodded my head.
"Guys this is Echo." Newt said.
Minho squinted his eyes suspiciously at me. "Aren't you the shank that was followin' us?"
I nodded my head. He crossed his arms over his chest.
"How can we trust you?" Thomas asked. I turned to face him.
"Brenda and Jorge work for WICKED, you can ask every crank here." I said. "How do we know you don't work for them?" He asked.
"Ask anyone here if they know me. No one does. Listen, everyone here knew you guys were going to be coming here, along with a second group but they went around the city. Trust me when I say they work for WICKED."
Minho looked at Thomas then Newt.
"Do you trust her Newt?" Minho asked. Newt looked at me then back at Minho.
Newt nodded his head. "At least more then Jorge and Brenda."
Thomas fumbled with his fingers and looked in deep thought. Minho stood there, his muscular arms still folded over his chest.
"I don't know about this Newt." Minho says.
"I think we should." Thomas said before Newt had the chance to reply to Minho.
"What?" Minho asked.
"I mean just think about it. How would they know we were coming?" Thomas said, "Like WICKED knew that Teresa and I were going to be the ones who figure out how to get out of the maze. They have everything planned out, they want us to go with Jorge and Brenda."
"How do we know she's not lying to us?" Minho asked.
"That part, I have no idea." He responded.
Minho pointed his finger at me. "I bet she does work there and this is all supposed to happen!"
I pursed my lips and turned around. I knew a crank was watching us the whole time, eavesdropping on our conversation. I walked up to him and grabbed his rotten ear and drug him in front of Minho, Thomas and Newt.
"What the hell?" Minho asked jumping back.
I pressed a knife to the guys neck.
"If I have to I will kill this crank and eat him right here." I said. They looked at me with wide eyes.
"She's just trying to scare us." Minho said. I cocked an eyebrow and slit the cranks neck. He was past the gone anyways. People gasped in the background. Minho looked at me almost challenging me, mocking me, telling me that I couldn't do it. But he was wrong. I brought the knife to my lips and licked the blood off of it. Blood tastes funny. Newt turned away holding a hand over his mouth. Minho's face distorted in disgust.
"Would you like me to go on?" I asked.
"No! Please don't!" Thomas begged.
"Fine but first mishap and you're dead." Minho said.