Chapter 15- Beautiful Darkness.

RAY’S P.O.V

As I led the way, I could feel the presence of Almira beside me, her breathing calm, her footsteps strong, her head held high as we ventured into the cells. Every time I stepped into this room, it never failed to bring back the memories of when it was me being led down here for the final night, my thoughts chaotic about my brother, my mother. Their faces rippled across my memory as I shut my mind before they could become clear. It had taken months to block them away, hide them behind a mental wall that was forced brick by brick, never to be knocked down, my emotions never to be as strong for people again. This girl beside me threatens everything that I’ve built to keep my emotions neutral, seeing her passion thrive made it all the more harder.

“You don’t have to come all the way down, I know which cell is mine.” Almira’s voice sounded soft and echoed as the walls became stone the more we ventured down. As if to add to her point, she brushed past me, moving faster and heading straight for her cell, the clang of the metal cuffs locking in place before I could even light the cell with a flame. This is the one thing that I wished to question Lucian about, why was she in his cell? The other cells have chains to keep ourselves safe, but these cuffs were buried into the wall, the stone harsh and uneven underfoot, the other cells had smooth floors, mercy in its presence. This cell held nothing but a promise of the pain to come, not even hiding the conditions we force ourselves to live in during the three days. As the cell came into view, Almira gripped the chains, tugging them and testing them.

“I must leave you now, is there anything else I can ge-“

“No.” the sudden response made me jump, but I could see her eyes squinting, her vision already become slightly blurry. Her eyes beginning to water as she suppressed the tingles of pain that were beginning to form on her face, the green of her eyes turning lighter, flickering from the flame, looking like lightening in amongst the chaos her gaze held. With a final glance and a shut of the cell door, I started turning on my heel, heading back up the stairs faster than I thought possible, away from this girl of mysteries before her gaze held me still for too long.

*      *   *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *   *    *   *   *

ALMIRA’S P.O.V

Watching Ray leaving filled me with the temptation to shout back, to have his company a little longer as the pain began happening again. Already my bones are aching, my head tingling and eyes going blurry enough for the cell to be distorted, as if I’m seeing the world underwater. My hearing also fading, the sound of the chains against the floor and my labored breathes becoming that same low drone. A louder drone this time, then smaller ones…footsteps. Relief beginning to pour through me at the thought of Ray coming back, but the silhouette at the door was much larger than him, muscular the only word I can use to describe it.

“Do not shout for anyo-…..m’ere to deliever a messag….can you hear m…..e’llo?....I bring the messag….from Cephas….bugger not ‘nough time, too dangero….” His voice kept that fade until none of his words were understandable, his silhouette stepped back from the door and disappeared, not just moving away but vanishing into thin air completely. Questions already started pouring through my head as the pain surged on, and just as my last sane thoughts were mine to think, it drowned me and made me as much a madman as the fallen angles descended upon this world.

 *                            *                         *                       *                          *                       *  

“NO!” My scream shouted through the cell as I opened my eyes and escaped the hell of nightmares and pain. The flame that once sparked with life was only a dim glow, almost out. As I looked at my wrists, the cuffs were still attached, but the chains were ripped out of the wall, only a stone indent where they used to be remained. Check your body, no pain? Aches? Differences? As the thoughts processed, I noticed that my body felt no pain or aches, in fact, I haven’t felt so good. My vision having a sharper tinge that made the bugs on the walls stand out, the flame flicker with a rage that reminded me of a prisoner in its own cell. Slowly I made my way into a standing position, my muscles rippled and stretching as if yawning.

                  A thud sounded down the hall of the cells. Finally, my mind breathed, relieved to be gone from this place. As the footsteps became clearer, I could smell the scent of rain and soap and something underneath that…..Ray. His footsteps were fast and it wasn’t until he halted at the cell, panic in his eyes that my stance turned to the side, my brain searching my surroundings for danger

“Lucian could hear the chains tearing out of the walls! Good god woman, can you keep anything fixed! I thought you’d be too lost in the change to control your actions.” Relief poured through him as he took in what was my knotted hair and muddy fingernails before more footsteps sounded and Lucian, Lucy and Michael halted at the door also. They took in the same facial expression as Ray; reliefs pouring through them, the matching looks made me spurt into laughter, and then even more when they all matched the same confused looks.

“You all look like puppies watching me like that. There’s nothing to worry about, I’m all in one piece, dirty, but still safe and sound.” I tugged on my still cuffed wrists to emphasize the point but Lucian grew serious, his features hardening as he took in the damage.

“You shouldn’t have completed the change yet, it takes at least fourteen hours and you’ve only been six. This is impossible.”

Michael breathed a curse under his breath before grinning in a way that looked both proud and humorous. Lucy kept her face calm, but the glint in her eyes betrayed her and the cold hard grip she gave the cell bars.

I breathed heavily “I always liked to be fashionably early, now does any of you mind letting me out, it’s a little annoying watching you staring at me like an animal in the circus.”

Ray went to open the door but Lucian snapped a hand up, replacing Ray’s hand with his own as he opened the door with a slow caution, letting it fall open, the moans and screams of the hinges almost deafening with my hearing.

“That’s another thing, I feel my senses heightened, but why doesn’t it feel as if my ability is heightened? I should have felt his fear or something cooler.” I asked.

“Because,” Lucian started as he made his way towards me, kneeling down to unlock the cuffs, “you have not had chance to use them, you’ve barely woken.” He laughed to himself, disbelief still showing in his gaze as the cuffs fell to the ground. I held my arms out in front, relief pouring through me at not feeling the drag of the chains as I did so. I stared up at them and their emotions all looked different this time, Rays strong and closed, Lucian showing concern in his eyes. It was Michael who reassured me with a smile and Lucy who walked over, her hand coming up and hesitating in silent permission, before I could let myself properly think, I nodded and her palm came down onto my forehead, her touch soothing as a sharp pain then a coolness spread through my body, it’s invasion healing my body and making me shudder in relief as I felt better than ever.

“Thanks, I needed that.” I breathed, smiling at her and being given the same in response. Her hand dropped down as she stepped back,

“We’ll get you all fixed up before training, for one, you stink.” She inhaled and held her nose, grinning as Michael begun roaring in laughter that made me glare at them both and inhale my clothing for myself. Yep, I do. I could feel the colour creeping into my face by the second and gestured for Lucy to lead the way so I could get away from Michael’s noise and sort myself out. As she walked out I didn’t look back at the cell this time, the only way forward as I strode behind Lucy down the corridor, up the stone steps and higher into the house.