Chapter 6-The Truth of Far Greater Things.

I woke to the smell of clean bed sheets and lavender. I forced my eyes open even though I knew where I was. My room was pale in contrast to the rest of my home. Light blue curtains draped open, letting the sunlight pour through onto my white sheets and furniture. I sat up and a faint ache spread into my ribs. Looking down at my nightgown I realized it was light enough to see the bandages wrapped around my body through the cloth. My hand flew up to my neck automatically and I felt the mark where the dart had been scabbed over. I collapsed back onto the pillows and the throb of my head came floating back along with the memory. The image of the figures made me shudder and before I could go into more detail with the reminder I heard the door clicked open and Tom walk in. His hat clutched in a knot in front of him as he made his way to the bedside. His face had lost the harshness it had when I’d last seen him. The replacement of bad memories was not putting a brightener on my mood. I opened my mouth to talk and no sound came out. I swallowed and tried again.

"I'm sorry I walked off. It was childish and stupid. You where right. It was not my place to talk in that way to your father. I don't know what came over me." It came out in a whisper but at least it was something.

His eyes widened and he grabbed my hand. "You shouldn't be apologizing. I can't believe I said what I did. I should have gone after you and let Samuel ride you home. This would never have happened. I am responsible. Hope wouldn't let me in the house. She is right to be mad and so do you." His voice failed him and I moved my hand up to touch his cheek.

"How long have I been like this for?" I gestured at the bed softly.

"You've only been out for a day. Hope found you on the doorsteps with your wounds cleaned and bandaged. What happened? " He replied quietly. I told him everything I remembered. The Figures. The fight. The mystery person who saved me and knew my name. By the time I was finished the shock was clear on Tom's face.

"These figures knew you and so did this man. Why did they target you? What could they possibly gain from you dead?" He made his anger show and I moved my gaze away. Someone wanted me dead and had nearly had their way. I'd come close to death and it was Tom who was angry. Not me. For some reason I knew that it had something to do with father's disappearance and that made me begin to question if I didn't know something vital in him going missing. I pushed the sheets aside and slowly rose from the bed on the other side Tom was on. I ignored the protests my body made and walked towards the far side of the room and faced the mirror. My nightgown covered the bandages well enough that my body looked unharmed but my face showed what was left of the attack. My right cheek was slightly red but barely swollen. How could I be healed this much? The cheek should be a bruise that should be the vivid purple that you would get from a punch. But it looked a week old. It would be healed by tomorrow. I turned and Tom was still by the bed. His face neutral and oblivious to what my mind was screaming to me. I'd always healed well when I was smaller and always seemed to get back on my feet quicker but looking in the mirror at the injuries that should have had me in bed for weeks made me wonder if my fast healing was a little less normal then I first thought.

"I need to dress Tom. I was supposed to meet Lizzy before tonight; will I see you there? I need to have at least two familiar faces tonight, I’ll die of boredom if I’m dancing with strangers all night." I laughed at the end of the line and it made me feel better. He laughed back and walked up to me.

"Yeah I’ll be there. Can't have you dancing with all the men of London without one from me now can I?" His eyes sparked with a cheeky grin and made me laugh more until the room was filled with the sounds of it. The room slowly began to fill with silence afterwards and soon the humor left our faces too. "I must go. I've still got to help Father out before tonight and you know how he is with his dress clothes." He rolled his eyes and did a mock salute. I smiled back before he turned from me and headed for the door. Turning back for a moment and whispering goodbye, giving me a wink and closing the door behind him. Tonight was the social gathering of London's finest men and women and I was invited with Lizzy. One of my closest friends aside from Tom. She did not know about my training and upbringing so she was the one girl who made me practice and perfect my curtsies and I didn't have a fit about it. She's been planning what to wear for months and had planned the day with me to try them on. Discuss dance cards and etiquette I was in for a very, very long day.