Chapter 5- Gentle Touch in a Few Last Moments.

"So I drop my sword and know I don't have enough time. I close my eyes and wait for the blow but nothing happens. I look up and guess who's there! Ol' Alex with a grin as big as a lion on him, his sword down by his side and the fellow running down the hill as fast as he could. Screaming like a child." Our laughs fill the room and echo across the walls. With our stomachs full and our plates empty we listen to Edmond's stories of his time in the war with father. The comfort of the stories made me laugh but it wasn't long before my heart twitched at the reminder of his disappearance. I stared down at my hands and willed my tears back. Clenching the napkin as it became harder and harder. I hadn't noticed Edmond stop talking until I felt the weight of gazes on me. I swallowed the lump in my throat and looked up. They were staring at me with the same look and the lump appeared in my throat no sooner than it had gone. My visions becoming blurred with unshed tears so the room was filled with a mass of colors.

"I am sorry my dear. I have spoken too much of him, your grief is strong and I apologize" Edmonds voice sounded distant and unclear. I faced towards him and the tears fell down my cheeks before giving him the best smile I could manage.

"Don't apologize. The tales of you and father are a comfort, I just miss him telling them too." My voice didn't sound as calm as I wanted but I willed myself to control my emotions and be stronger. Finally the lump faded and I could trust my voice more.

"Do you have any idea what could have happened to him?" I made my question sound strong. I needed answers and I knew Edmond could give some reassurance, anything. Something passed through his face, a flicker of emotion that was gone in the blink of an eye. But it was there, knowledge of something. A secret he burdens to keep. His face snapped into the smile again and his reply came distant, but not an echo or something hard to understand, something that was not like him and didn't belong to that face.

"No. I can't think of anything that could have caused this. But don't worry; he's a survivor as you are. He is okay. I'm sure of it." The look flickered again and made me match his eyes with a look I poured through.

"What aren't you telling me? You know something." My voice came tight and sharp, a statement rather then a question, something that was rarely in my tone. His eyes widened and felt the weight of my own gaze.

"I'm not sure what you mean. The night begins and I must retire to the study. Alone." He made the last word strong and certain as he slowly rose from his chair and all the smiles had left. The humor gone and a silence that was heavy enough to become awkward began. I looked at Tom and his confusion showed on his face. I turned my gaze away and rose from my chair, walking in front of Edmond's path and meeting his eyes again, his own flickering back with an anger that was clear as blood on white cloth.

"I think you know perfectly well. Where is he? What aren't you telling me!" my voice rose in the room and the heat of the fire was not the only thing filling it either. I let my rage pour through and was matched by his own. What was happening to me? He stepped closer, forcing me to look up to keep my eyes on his as he towered over mine and made me feel like a mouse to a cat.

" Enough Almira! Know your place as I know mine within my own home. I think it best if you leave before the night hits fully." He stepped to the side and walked past me and out the room. Letting the door slam behind him and leaving me standing facing the wall.

"You had to push him. You know he gets angry when people accuse him." his voice held a note of sadness and was closer then I remembered. I turned and he was standing not a meter away from me, his body still proud and tall but not with as much effort as before. The look on his face showed a disappointment that made me angry again.

"I know what I saw Tom. He knows something about father. He's not telling me something" I let my voice raise again, how dare he look at me like that.

"Enough! Father is right. Know your place. You are a wom-" He bit the last bit off and my throat went tight again.

"Because I am a woman." I finished the unspoken words as I turned and ran. Out of the room and down the corridor. If Tom was following I didn't know. My heart was hammering in my ears too loud for anything else. I knew people would remind me of my place because it was where I should be but hearing Tom say it made me realize just how much I was not equal to him. Being told it never bothered me because that was the way things where and I was content with it. But something struck me when Tom reminded me that my voice would never be heard if it was against someone else and the thought filled me with a rage that frightened me. I ran across the marble floors by the stairs and out the front door. I needed to walk home and focus on finding father alone. As I ran down the stairs and onto the streets I began to slow my pace and take in my surroundings. The lanterns lit the street dimly and fought off what darkness it could but the night was still thick and heavy. I must have been in the house for longer then I thought. I could go back and get Samuel to ride me home but I didn't want to face Tom again. If I were quick it would take about half an hour to get home, plenty of time to think. I walked down the empty streets and could hear people chatting in the pubs and the men laughing on the streets and knew it was later then I had thought. Much later. My coat and hat still at Tom's meant that the cold crept around me and forced me to draw my arms around myself. My breath becoming visible in the darkness as I walked faster.

As I kept walking I felt a burning seep through my body like a candlelight searching for a way out of my body, it’s burn sharp and immediate that I leant against the wall and search around for help, instead I felt a gaze on me. I can't describe the feeling but it’s one I would not wish for on anyone, this feeling in my gut. I was never was wrong about this. I kept walking and moved my gaze behind me. Something flashed for a second and hid behind an alley wall. Someone was following me. I clenched my fists and focused on breathing slowly.

I turned my gaze back to the streets ahead and let my brain furiously think of something, anything to get home faster. I was stupid for thinking I could walk home at this hour. The mystery started behind me. Its footsteps growing closer and louder and I knew it would reach me soon. Before I could run another figure stepped in front of me, its face hidden behind the hood of a cloak and forcing me to stop. I turned and saw the mystery figure also blocking my view, its cloak covering any way to identify the person. I turned to my side so I could see both of them and let the memories of training flood into my mind. The fear brought them running through my brain in a flash.

I'd be okay. I faced the tallest one, the one that had appeared afterwards and ran for him. Letting my speed push me forward and before I realized what it was doing. It was too late. Its cloak moved aside to reveal a pipe. It lifted the end of it under the hood and blew.

I felt a prick of pain hit me on the neck in a perfect hit. I kept running and jumped onto him, letting my fist move in an uppercut to his jaw, hearing the satisfying click of it pop its teeth. It shrieked into the night and I realized it was a man's voice.

The noise went distant for a moment and my vision started to blur. I concentrated and when I could see enough I saw the flash of a ring before a slam of pain hit my cheek and sent me flying. I hit the ground and my head collided into the stone with a thud. I tasted blood in my mouth and tried to get to my feet but collapsed back onto the ground, seeing spots of black in my vision and the pain in my head sharpen.

My vision was getting worse and my eyes felt heavy. I saw the blurry silhouette of the dark figures as one struck a foot to my ribs and stomach, Pain shooting through me and knocking the air from my lungs as I sent out silent screams. I felt so much as saw the cold barrel of a pistol touch my forehead. It was harsh against my skin and I finally felt my vision go completely, only sounds recognizing in my head. 

The sound of shrieks made me alert again.

The touch of the gun was gone and the sound of swords crashing together was replaced. The struggles began to grow quieter and finally I only heard the breathing of someone beside me. I felt the person gently touch my shoulder. I flinched but remained still, the blackness of my vision paralyzing me.

The figure gently made the pressure feather light and soothing as a man's voice came through the darkness. Whispering "Allie, Allie, Allie!" over and over again. I didn't have chance to reply before I was pulled under and the blackness conquered my body as well.