Chapter 1- Alone on a leash

Maven hooked the collar over my head and tugged me harshly toward him with the leash. His breath on my neck was hot but sent a shiver down my spine as he whispered in my ear. "You put her body on display. I'll do the same to you."
If I hadn't been locked up in my pain and regret in a prison cell for the last month I would've knocked his teeth out right there. He points one hand to his feet and I do the only thing I can. I kneel.
The crowd goes crazy, screaming words of hate towards me. I look up at the man I once loved, the one that was made up specifically for me and feel nothing. Nothing towards him at least.
I am numb towards him and the pain he has caused me, mentally and physically. I want death. I greet death with open arms. Anything is better than looking at his sneering face and the jeering crowd.
After a moment of staring me down, he raises his hand. In an instant the crowd turns quiet. His voice booms over the crowd as he captivates everyone's attention. Including mine.
"Mare Barrow is wanted for treason and more murder than anyone can account. The girl has killed our beloved Queen and helped my traitor brother kill our praised King. She has showed the entire nation my Mother's body on display. Now it is her turn."
He pauses and the crowd cheers in approval. My eyes search the crowd looking for the man in gray. My eyes meet his with a glare but he just looks and gives me a small smile, holding up 2 fingers. How dare he show up here when he led me to Corros where he knew my brother would be here. How dare he look at me, much less smile.
But part of me can't help wonder why 2 fingers? The crowd is still screaming as I go back to my thoughts, finally able to for the first time in what feels like months. Where is my family are they safe? And did they ever manage to save the kids headed out towards the Choke, doomed to die? I hope, or else me surrendering will all be for nothing.
My mind suddenly drifts towards a vision of golden eyes, warm and safe. Cal. Is he tied up being tortured somewhere or is he watching this broadcast sitting at the Notch. No. Cal would never just watch and let this happen. I hope at the end of all this, he finds happiness. Even if it's not from me. It pains me to think about it. But all too soon I am pulled from my thoughts by a voice I am all to familiar with.
"The Lightning girl once thought to be strong and powerful, now kneels to me. She is alone. Her rebels are dead and soon she will join them."
He pauses again as the crowds cheers get louder with every word he says.
His words rattle in my ears, speaking life into me. The Lightning girl. I am strong. I am not weak. I am not alone. My rebels are not dead and I will not kneel to him.
My legs feel numb as I start to stumble to a stand. My head feels dizzy and my body tells me to stop but I can't. As I rise to my knees I see a red flag flying over the top of the castle. But it's not the flag I'm looking at, it's the people next to it. I stand to my feet the same time I smell the pungent smell of smoke. And screams. I feel my feet being lifted from the ground, a firm grip around my neck. Between the pain I've endured and the chaos in front of me I can't help it. I black out.

A/N- Sorry this is short, it's the first chapter and I wanted to led off where the book did but not give too much away. The next chapter will be longer don't worry! Also- This is not edited yet and I will edit once I finish. I AM FINE WITH YOU LEAVING CORRECTIONS IN THE COMMENTS! All characters belong to Victoria Aveyard and are not mine! I might add a few if I feel the need to though. Hope you enjoy and I will probably update soon within the next day or so!
One last thing- Would you like to see more romance in the story or keep it to a minimum? Comment what you want below
Thanks for reading and make sure to like and comment!!