Chapter 3: Benora

Chapter 3: Benora

   The city walls rose about fifty feet above the ground, unbroken (with the exception of the south gate, where a huge opening arched halfway up and within the wall above held a portcullis). In contrast to the capital’s white rock walls, Benora’s were grey, almost prison like, with battlements in the top layer for archers to shoot out of. Clearly the city had been built to easily defend itself from a siege. About the city were a few farmhouses dotted every so often, where farmers attended the fields in the nearby area, to supply the city with food of its own.

   ‘Welcome to Benora,’ Bordan introduced, as he beckoned Kelar into a trot. They approached the opening and Ina saw two guards watching the road ahead for strangers. Kelar slowed down to brisk walk. When they were about to go under the archway the guards slanted their long spears in front of them to halt their progress.

   ‘What business do two young people have in Benora? Asked the soldier to their right, he sounded as if he had asked the same similar words many times before. He wore silver coated armour and a silver helmet and boots. Underneath the torso armour hung a chain-mail shirt made of many small loops of metal.

   ‘We are here visiting relatives who dwell within these walls and our business is to see those who we have dearly missed,’ replied Bordan.

   ‘What be your names?’ asked the other guard.

   ‘Brandon and Nia, we have travelled a long way from Lor Hairen.’

   ‘Very well, be on your way,’ said the first and the two drew back their spears to make way for Kelar to pass.

   ‘The soldiers here are a bit slack about letting strangers enter. However, for two such as us, it’s a great weakness,’ admitted Deland once they were out of earshot of the wall, for it was very quiet. Inside the walls the conditions were vile; the cobble pavement street was covered in mud and straw. The houses were made of the same stone as the outer wall, with thatched roofs, no glass windows, just holes left in the house walls. Ina felt embarrassed of what she saw. She had been thinking of a much better place than Jerash, she believed that people were treated and lived better in other cities. Now that her expectations had been obliterated she saw a new side of authority and poverty. The people they could see looked seriously ill and treated like forgotten animals.

   ‘Why is it so horrible?’ whispered Ina.

   ‘Although the king rules the whole kingdom he allows separate cities to be ruled as their lords’ want, but he has laid down certain laws even they can’t break.’

   ‘What kind of person would let their own people live like this?’

   ‘The lord and lady of Benora are the worst of all the aristocracy in Forenai. They only care for the rich in this city.’ He turned his head and (to Ina’s surprise) wore a wide smile as he had done before. ‘Fortunately, I know a man who lives nearer the centre of the city.’ At this Ina became confused, but it all revealed to be clearer as they rode deeper into the city. They turned down a road that led off the main one, just on the inside. This next street told a different story about its residents than the gloomy horror of the road before. The people here were more finely dressed and didn’t take any notice of the new-comers. They carried on through this street for five minutes and they passed a few various shops. There was a smith’s, where sparks were flying in the air as the flaming hot metal was being shaped. There was a medicine and herbal store, a baker’s, a butcher’s and a few inns, which were all different and strange in a warm, welcoming way. After they had passed a small book store Bordan stopped them outside a large brick house. It looked as if the owner took great pride in keeping the place perfect. There were four pairs of windows at the front, all were wide open and had carved patterns of grape vines around the edges. They climbed off Kelar and Bordan took the reins and led him down a side gate. This led to stables which clearly belonged to the house as the same grape vine pattern was etched on each separate stable door. Bordan put Kelar into the furthest away from the entrance. He beckoned Ina to come to him, she approached.