Chapter Seven

The call doesn't come until the middle of the next day. It rained all morning which is probably why it took that long.

The city gathered around the platform. Fear fueled the hushed whispers. It's been years since the last offence of this magnitude.

I push through to the front of the murmuring crowd, Leaf perched on my shoulder. Someone bumps into me from behind and I turn to see Cole. He doesn't look happy to be here.

The murmurings die on the peoples' lips just at the sight of the angel entering the stage; Nellaf, the one who rules us from the dark castle. A cold chill washes over me. I forgot just how massive his wings are; his sign of power. They are much too full and large to be handled by his smaller, almost sickly, frame. Nellaf's gaze is sharp as he takes his time to glance at each and every one of us.

"Angels of Finster," he calls out once he's finished. His voice easily carries over the crowd. "You have been called here today to witness the punishing of the greatest blasphemy this city has ever known."

The crowd at the far side of the stage parts to let a formation of Enforcers pass through. Rilind is at their center, his coat hiding the color of his wings. He's bruised and a little bloody near one eye, but he stands tall. The look in his eyes terrifies me. A bright blue color that shows not fear, but determination. I don't understand.

Leaf flies off from my shoulder before I can catch him and swoops down to Rilind. The Enforcers react as though something dangerous has flown into their midst, looking up and clutching their weapons tighter. Leaf perches on Rilind's head. Rilind speaks to one of the angels holding him. The Enforcer's reaction is angry as he snatches Leaf off of Rilind's head. I lose track of the little dragon after that.

"Bring him up!" Nellaf announces, making me jump. Rilind doesn't need to be forced. He walks calmly with the Enforcers to the middle of the platform. Nellaf shoves him down to his knees, and in a swift motion tears away Rilind's coat. The crowd reacts as one, letting out exclamations of shock and fear as they all take a collective step back.

"But white wings are just a myth..." Someone near me whispers. Nellaf's cold eyes fix on the crowd.

"This man has defiled the Darkness by parading around with wings of Light!" Nellaf pauses, letting the people process the information. "He also claims to be from the land of Xion." At this the crowd turns angry. Nellaf turns his back to the crowd to address Rilind.

"Young man, I give you one last chance to renounce the Light. What will your answer be?"

Rilind takes his time in answering. He lifts his head and stares straight into Nellaf's eyes for what seems like an eternity. He says only one word; a word spoken so powerfully there is no doubt he would die for his beliefs. "No."

Nellaf's thin lips curl up in a satisfied smile. He knew what Rilind's answer would be before he spoke. "Let it be done."

I burry my face in my hands, unwilling to watch. Rilind doesn't scream. The only sound is that of the crowd cheering for the cruel act happening on stage. I squeeze my eyes tighter and press my hands against my ears until Cole nudges to tell me it's over.

"Let this be a warning to you!" Nellaf shouts in a voice shaking with both anger and victory. His wings are fully spread and nearly take up the span of the stage. "Light is an evil bent on destroying us. Do not listen to its lies, or you, too, will kneel for your punishment at the Odciac!" I dare to look. Rilind supports himself on all fours, rocking back and forth from the pain. His wings are gone; in their place two vertical gashes decorate his back, open and bleeding.