Chapter Four

Inside the glasshouse the fire is dead. I frown and pick up a small candle to see by.

"Asher? Rilind?" No answer. I check all the dark corners just to be sure, but there's no one here. My heart pounds in my chest a little harder. Did the Enforcers change their mind and come back to arrest them?

The door opens and I whirl around. My wings fly out at my sides to steady me.

"Cole!" I gasp. His brow sits low over his eyes. I grip the candle tighter.

"What's going on?" Cole demands. I let my breath out slowly. I don't know how to answer him. Cole just keeps talking.

"This morning you wanted to talk about color and Light. Now there's an angel claiming to be from Xion and you know him?"

I stare at Cole, trembling, but not from fear. I'm angry. Angry that I don't understand what's going on myself.

"You know Casimir was killed because of this, right?"

Rage warms my chest. That crossed a line. I storm past him and leave the glasshouse. Cole calls after me, but I ignore him.

Two figures grow larger in the sky above me; two angels coming in to land. My eyebrows lift in recognition. Asher and Rilind grow closer with every stroke of their wings.

Oh crap.

Rilind's white wings are spread out wide, catching the wind.

In a moment of panic I turn back to the glasshouse and slam the door shut in Cole's face, keeping it closed so he doesn't see.

"Idiots!" I cry under my breath. Rilind's as good as wingless by morning if even one person saw him.

"Rae?" Cole tries the door, then bangs his fist against it once. "Rae, what the hell is going on? Let me out."

Rilind still hasn't landed.

"I'm sorry I brought up, Cas," Cole says with an irritated sigh. "Now let go of the door." I close my eyes and hold my breath. Waiting. Listening for them to land. Praying they don't get shot out of the sky.

I'm thrown back when Cole shoves the door open. "Cole stop!" I gasp, falling to the ground. He stomps out, face angry. I strain to look back over my shoulder. Asher lands as Rilind finishes tying his coat strap. I relax my body and let out a breath, relieved. Rilind's secret is still safe. Cole moves his glare from me to them.

Asher pulls his wings tight against his back and shoved his hands into his pockets. "Hey."

"Hi," Cole grunts back. No one dares say anything else, the tension too thick. Cole shakes his head and walks off. After a few paces he snaps his wings open and leaves us.

I get to my feet and cross my arms at my brother. "Where did you go?"

Asher and Rilind exchange a troubled glance.

"Rilind wanted to show me something," Asher says, then dismisses me with a wave of his hand. Rilind raises an eyebrow at him.

"Asher—" My brother takes a fistful of Rilind's coat, cutting him off, and drags him aside.

"We don't know for certain," Asher says in a hushed tone.

"I do, and I intend to tell the whole city."

Asher gives him a grave look. "I wouldn't do that if I were you. Not yet."

"Guys," I speak up. "I can hear everything you're saying. What did you find?"