The Tradition

Sunlight streamed through the windows, waking Sallie. She stretched and yawned, careful not to wake Ricky as her head was on his chest and his arms wrapped tight around her. She failed, and a pair of bright blue eyes glanced down at her. "Morning baby," Ricky murmured, kissing her head. "Isn't it a beautiful morning?" He absent-mindedly twirled his fingers in her hair as he looked out the window. Sallie relaxed her head into his hands and laid her head back on his chest. 

"Yes. It's so lovely down here." They had been in Cornwall for a week or so and Ricky had spent the first few days showing Sallie around the places he loved. He'd insisted on taking her to a fish and chip shop called the Harbour Lights. Sallie smiled as she could remember the conversation so well. 

"C'mon, babe. I know the best place to eat." Ricky helped her into her jacket and slipped on one himself. 

"Where?" Sallie could almost guess it was going to be fish and chips as coastal areas are well-known for them. 

"It's this place called Harbour Lights." Ricky's love of the place came across as he spoke. "It's a fish and chips shop. But it's got traditional stuff, you know? None of those burgers and pies additions. No, it's just fish and chips. It has an amazing sea-front view. It's almost as beautiful as you." He came over to her and took both her hands in his before lightly kissing her. "I swear you'll love it." Sallie grinned at him and took his offered hand. 

"You clearly do, and it sounds wonderful." Ricky had squeezed her hand at this and led her out the door.

 They had been given a table right by the sea-front - the owner was good friends with Ricky and had been delighted to see him again and with a girlfriend. Sharing food seemed like the best choice, and Ricky had spent the entire evening slowly feeding Sallie chips from his hand as a romantic meal. They had then returned to the house and sat on the balcony until it had gotten too cold again. 

As they lay in bed watching the sunlight, Ricky looked down at Sallie prone across his naked chest, where she had laid her hand gently over his heart. If this was intentional or not, Ricky didn't know, but it made him smile. "What do you want to do today?" 

"Could we go to the beach?" Sallie suggested. She had been dying to do so ever since they arrived. 

"Yeah, that sounds great. Let's get up." Ricky lightly tapped Sallie's backside as part of a running explicit joke between them and wandered into the bathroom after stripping off. Sallie couldn't help watching his retreating back and wondering how she got quite so lucky and what she had done to deserve someone so wonderful. 

Two hours later, Ricky and Sallie headed down to the beach hand in hand. Ricky carried a couple of beach towels he had found in the cupboard under his arm and both sported shades and caps. They found a decent spot midway up the beach and put the towels down. Ricky bent and kissed Sallie's forehead. "Wait here. I'm gonna get some sun-loungers." He was back less than a minute later with a lounger each and quickly set them up next to each other. "Do you want to sit here or on the sand?" 

"You ask me that after you went to get them?" Sallie rolled her eyes at him and he smirked. 

"If not, we can use them to hold down the towels." 

"Nah. Loungers are good." Ricky grinned back at her. 

"I always have a plan." They both settled back on their loungers and Sallie took out her Kindle while Ricky opened his little red notebook. "I ordered drinks," Ricky murmured as a young waiter arrived with a beer and a lemonade. Sallie smirked and turned on the Kindle in her hand. She took a quick sip of her drink. 

"Anyone would think you've bought me a drink before," she playfully teased. Ricky lifted his shades so Sallie could see his blue eyes dancing with humour. 

"Yes. Anyone would." He smiled and turned back  to his notebook. A few quick scribbles later and it went away. Ricky glanced over at Sallie. "Did you put sunscreen on?" he asked her gently. 

She sat up at this, dropping her Kindle onto the bag between them on the sand. "No, I didn't. Thanks for reminding me." Ricky leant over and pulled a bottle of the stuff out of the bag. He stood up and crossed the short gap between their loungers. 

"Here. Sit with your back to me." Sallie did so, and he quickly applied the sunscreen with his gentle, caressing fingers. "Turn around." He did the front and then gave her the bottle. 

"My turn." He flashed her a wicked grin before sitting with his back to  her and letting her cover him all over in sunscreen. Sallie was reminded of the delicious memories of their bath the first time she had stayed overnight at his. And he knew it. 

Once they were all done, they settled back on the loungers - Sallie returned to reading and Ricky headed down to the sea for a swim. Sallie watched him. "You coming?"

"Later, after you come back. I'll come on the second round," she smiled. "Let me watch you." He smirked and dived into the sea, surfacing a few metres from the shore and showing off in the water. 

Three hours later and they were still on the beach. The sun was starting to set as they had arrived at around two. They had moved from the loungers to towels laid out on the sand and were admiring how the sea looked with the sun's reflection glittering in it. Ricky had his arm around Sallie, his wet hair dripping down her back slightly. She couldn't complain - her hair was wet too and in direct contact with his chest. Rivulets of water kept running down his chest and soaking into his already damp shorts. Ricky didn't seem to mind though. 

He kissed Sallie passionately without saying anything and they lay there in a peaceful silence for a while. "We should probably go," Ricky murmured, nuzzling Sallie gently. She grumbled under her breath - she had been quite comfy but he was right. 

They gathered their things and headed back to the house, holding hands. When they got to the front door, Ricky grasped Sallie's chin in his free hand and kissed her lips, then allowed her to go inside first. He put the stuff on the side and looked down at her lovingly. Sallie wrapped her arms around him and he responded. "Thank you for today. That beach is lovely. Have you ever seen something so gorgeous?" she gushed. 

"It's my pleasure," Ricky smiled. "And yes I have. It's right in front of me." Sallie blushed at this and he just smiled and kissed her again. 

"You really do spoil me," Sallie said, cuddling into his chest. Ricky said nothing for a moment. 

"I know. I like doing it. You're my girlfriend," he murmured. "And I love you."