The Recording Session

Sallie woke to the smell of a cooked breakfast. Quickly she pulled on a dressing gown and went down to the kitchen to find Ben standing at the cooker and Tom sitting at the table with a mug of tea. "Morning Sallie," Ben said. 

She gave him a smile. "I thought you were staying at Jenna's last night?" 

"I did. It's 10.30." Sallie's mouth opened in shock. 

"Shit. Ricky told me we should get there for 11." Tom smirked and gulped down the last of his tea. 

"I'll make some bacon sandwiches for you to eat just before you go." 

"Hurry up and go get  ready then," he murmured. Sallie quickly turned on her heel and ran upstairs. 

Twenty minutes later, Sallie was upstairs combing her hair when the doorbell went downstairs. Ben put down his coffee and Tom looked up from where he was putting his drumsticks in his bag. Ben went to the door and answered it.  

 Ricky was stood there. "Hey, Ricky, isn't it?" he said and held out his hand. Ricky smiled and nodded. "Ben. Nice to meet you." 

"Sallie's guardian?" Ricky asked as he shook Ben's hand. 

"Yeah." Tom stood up and put his bag on his shoulder. He walked out into the hallway. 

"Hey, Rick." Ricky looked past Ben and waved at Tom. 

"How you doing, buddy?"

"I'm  good. What are you doing here? I thought we were meeting you there?" 

"I know. But the traffic's nuts so I thought I'd give you a lift." He gestured behind him and Tom could see his Honda Civic parked outside the house. "Where's Sallie?"

"Getting ready. Do you wanna come in? I'll call her." Ben gestured for Ricky to come in and led him to the kitchen. 

Tom went to the bottom of stairs just as Sallie appeared at the top, dressed in her Kaiser Chiefs shirt and some tight figure-hugging jeans. "Bringing out the big guns today are we?" he teased and Sallie gave him a dirty look. She walked down the stairs. "Ricky's here by the way." She stopped in her tracks. 

"What?"

"He's giving us a lift. Although I think he just wants to see you." Sallie rolled her eyes but couldn't help her smile. 

"Shut up."

"I'm not kidding. He's in the kitchen. We better get going anyway." They went through to the kitchen where Ben and Ricky were chatting and drinking coffee. 

Ricky turned his head as soon as they came in and gave Sallie a huge smile. He got up and gave her a hug. "Hey, baby," he murmured. "I realize you didn't expect me to be here. You ready to go?" Sallie nodded and after a quick goodbye to Ben they climbed into Ricky's Honda and drove off. Ricky spent most of the journey with his hand on Sallie's thigh. 

As the car stopped at a traffic light, Ricky leaned over and whispered in Sallie's ear, "I like this outfit on you. It makes you look really sexy." He kissed the spot just below her ear before gunning the car back into gear as the light went green. Sallie went red at his compliment. 

When they got to the studios the rest of both bands were already there. Peanut and Simon were quick to jab Ricky about giving Sallie a lift. "Jesus, man. Can't you keep away from her for a whole 24 hours?" they joked. 

"Piss off," Ricky said, smirking and waving a none too polite finger in their direction. He turned to Sallie and Tom. "This is Peanut and Simon - over there's Whitey and Vijay." 

By this point, Callum, Oli and Jamie had joined them. They were quickly introduced and neither Sallie or Tom missed the suspicious look Ricky gave Jamie when they shook hands. Maybe he wasn't quite cool about it. 

They sat in on the session and listened as the Kaisers played through their new album. Afterwards, Whitey put down his guitar and said, "I dunno about you guys but I'm starving. Who wants lunch?" The other boys were quick to agree, expect Ricky who raised an eyebrow after sharing a private joke with Sallie. "I know the best place," Oli said. 

"Let me guess. Nando's?" Sallie smirked. Oli grinned and shook his head. 

"No. TGI's. Haven't been there for ages. Anyone fancy that?"

The Kaiser musicians and Sallie's boys were happy with that. "I can't." Ricky's voice cut through the hub-bub. "I'm lactose. It's fine. You guys go there. Sallie and I'll find somewhere else, won't we?" He flashed Sallie a charming smile and she nodded. 

"Sure. You guys go there. I am supposed to be an athlete after all," she said. 

"You know mate," Simon said to Ricky, "if you just want to have lunch alone with Sallie, you just gotta say." 

"Thanks." Ricky held out his hand to Sallie and she eagerly took it. She waved goodbye to the boys and walked out hand in hand with Ricky. 

The boys stared after them and Tom and Callum eventually smirked. "I'd say they were pretty smitten," Callum commented. 

"That's an understatement," Peanut corrected him. "We've never seen him this happy. Not in 12 years." 

"Enough talking about them," Whitey said. "Seriously I'm dying of hunger. Can we go?" They all laughed and went out together.