The Invitation

"Have you seen this?" Tom waved a letter under Sallie's nose as she looked up from the newspaper she was reading. Rolling her eyes, Sallie took the letter from Tom's unresistant hand. 

"It's a letter from Sir Tom Jones inviting us to the final of The Voice UK," Tom said as she read it. 

Sallie smiled. "We should go," she said. 

Tom raised an eyebrow. "Yeah?" 

"We can meet the two other coaches - Kylie  Minogue and Ricky Wilson, from the Kaiser Chiefs," she said. Sallie didn't know why but when she said Ricky's name, her heart starting beating faster. She had a major crush on him but knew he had a girlfriend. 

Tom tried to hide his smirk at Sallie's reaction. "Yeah, and you can gawk at Ricky and drool all over him. I might tell him, you know." 

Sallie glared at him, her cheeks reddening with embarrassment. "You wouldn't dare?" 

He shrugged and gave her a quick smile. "I just wish you'd tell him, ask him out or something. It gets boring listening to you  saying Ricky this, Ricky that." 

Sallie took a deep breath and sighed. "I can't - he's got a girlfriend. Lesley something. You know that. But he's so cute, and dreamy." 

"I don't see it," Tom said factually. "But then again, I'm not a female. He's well-known for charming every girl he meets." He came over to Sallie and placed his hand gently on top of hers. "I just want you to be careful." He sighed and frowned as if an unpleasant thought had just occurred to him. "I don't want to see you get hurt." 

Sallie smiled fondly at Tom. Having known each other since they were two years old, they were close as any siblings. Tom was like her brother, and even though Tom had two older sisters and a twin brother, he was closer and spent more time with Sallie than any of them. "Thanks, Tom. I know you do. I won't - don't worry. I'll be careful. He probably won't even be interested in me or even talk to me. I mean, he's hot as anything and I'm, well, me. Not hot." 

Tom shook his head and grinned. "When will you stop this?" he begged. "You are beautiful the way you are. Just because you're not in the 'popular' crowd or don't have a washboard stomach or wear make-up, it doesn't make you any less attractive. You're cute, sweet, smart and funny. That's of a lot more importance to guys than your appearance, trust me." 

Tom could see he wasn't going to convince her of anything with just words. "Look, trust me. You might not believe me now but we'll go tonight, and I'll prove it to you." 

Sallie's head shot up from its prone place on her folded arms. "What do you mean?" she asked nervously. 

He laughed. "I'll make a bet with you. If Ricky doesn't find you attractive and fall for you tonight like you have him, then I'll watch a rom-com with you." 

"You hate those. You vowed never to watch one again after 'Keeping the Faith'." 

Tom nodded, grinning like the Cheshire Cat. "Exactly. So if Ricky doesn't find you attractive, that's my forfeit." 

"And if he does?" 

"Then you'll shut up about fancying him because you'll have him to watch with and my life will be peaceful again," Tom joked, smiling. 

Sallie raised her eyebrows and nodded. She held out her hand to him. "Okay, yeah. You're on, buddy. Shake on it." 

Tom  eagerly shook on it. "I can't wait."