Chapter 3: Fight Or Die

^ Raider ^

Raider

A deadly howl broke through the night, as soon as it reached my ears an icy snake of fear slithered up my spine and coiled itself around me. It tightened its cold grip, and my whole midsection became compressed- so much I couldn't breath. Just take a deep breath and relax, I told myself. I started to take a shaky breath in, but before I could even get a lung full of air fear sank its teeth into my neck, my body instantly going into paralysis as the venom coursed through my body.

My throat tightened, and I found myself gasping for breath as I fought off the panic that threatened to consume me and drag me to the darkest pits of hell. My eyes screwed shut as I fought for breath, only managing to get a few weak gasps. Calm down, calm down, calm down, I repeated over and over in my head. I had good reason to be afraid though; the alpha was calling. You'll have an even bigger reason to be afraid if you don't get back to the pack right this minute! My mind reasoned.

When the alpha called, you ran. He hates when people are late for meetings, even someone as unimportant and insignifigant as me. If I didn't get back to the pack soon, I risked punishment. The panic attack that I seemed to be teetering on the edge of dissipated, my body infroze from its paralyzed state. I needed to get back to the pack, now.

I got to my feet, my legs shaking like leaves in the wind making me frown. Blood loss. I must have cut a little too much. I tested the waters by taking a step forward, and nearly toppled over. Panic was starting to swell deep within my chest. I couldn't run, not when I could barely walk. I need to shift, that's the only way I can make it to the meeting ontime. A soft whimper escaped my lips at the pain that flared through my body as I began to shift.

I fell forward and landed on four legs, a sigh of relief leaving me. But in the corner of my eye I saw my coat- and all relief vanished. My coat is just another thing the pack scrutinizes me about: the rest of the pack had dark fur, blacks, greys, browns, while I have a creamy tan coat that's just a few shades away from being white.

They don't just hate me because my coat is different, no. My pack sees wolves with dark coats to be powerful, because the darker the coat the stronger the wolf. Even though that theory has been disproven on many occasions, my pack still believes it. Well why wouldn't they? The whole coat theory pans out with me, I'm an omega- the weakest and the smallest in the pack. Most of the women are even taller than me. And stronger.

"Stop it!" Robin demanded, "Everything they say about you is a lie. You are a strong, amazing person. Being an omega, having a light coat, none of that matters. None of it changes who you are." I wish I could believe Robin, I really do- but some beliefs are so deeply rooted that no amount of wishing can dispell them. In my mind I'll always see myself as weak.

Useless.

Worthless.

Stupid.

Unerwünschte.

I pushed aside those thoughts as I shot forward, bolting through the dead forest and back to my pack as quickly as possible. My body tensed the closer I got to the pack, my ears flattening against my head and my body sinking lower to the ground instinctively. Most of the pack was already here gathered around the Big Rocks while others still came seeping in. I stayed in the very back, keeping my body hidden behind a tree.

The Big Rocks are three huge slabs of jagged rock that serve as a throne to the higher ranks such as the gamma, beta, and alpha- and their mates of course. On the highest of the three rocks stood the alpha, his massive chest puffed out in pride as he stared down at the pack- a dominating gleem in his cold red eyes that demanded submission. Even from his mate, who was lying submissively by his feet like the good lapdog she was trained to be.

"You all are aware that we have been working with alpha Philips." He began. I didn't. But that doesn't surprise me. "An omega has no place knowing pack business." Someone once told me, well actually screamed at me but that's not the point. "He has called to us to aid him in battle, so tonight we travel to Kilroy Lake." Howls of excitement filled the air, to someone else their howls might sound joyful- but I could hear the dark promise in them.

The bloodlust, the dark glee they take from tearing someone apart; that's what make you a true rogue and the weres before me were all true rogues. Just thinking about the upcoming bloodshed had them jumping with a sick glee as their wolves became more in control. True rogues are the deadliest kind, at times their wolf is more in control than their human counterpart making them highly unstable. The wolves before me were more monster than man.

"Meeting dismissed." Alpha Warren barked, as soon ad the words left his mouth the pack was rushing through the trees to Lake Kilroy. The thought of having to fight another war for them made my stomach churn and bile rise in the back of my throat as memories of past fights replayed in my head. The blood. The screams. All the innocent lives. . . ended.

I can't do it, I can't fight for them. They may take pleasure in tne spilling of blood but I don't. I won't. Keeping my eyes on the pack I started to back up, making sure they didn't see my departure because if they did I was as good as dead. As soon as I was far enough away I turned my back to them and continued walking. I hadn't even finished my first step before a huge black leg slammed down on the ground infront of me, making me jump back.

Sorry, two huge, pitch black legs. The fear I had felt before came back tenfold as every alarm bell in my head started to go off all at once. The fear from before came back tenfold, and felt like a noose tightening around my neck as impending doom was moments away from crashing down on me. My eyes traveled up his powerful legs slowly, and met hard grey eyes. Alpha Warren glared down at me, his lips pulled back in a silent snarl. Run! Run now!

Before I could even take a step alpha Warren slammed me against the ground with one of his huge paws, and kept me pinned there. His teeth were instantly at my throat, digging into my neck slightly, my body trembled in fear. "You fight by us or die by us." He growled lowly, the sound reverberating in my bones and froze my blood. My ears flattened against my head as I whimpered in submission."Right choice." He snarled, letting go and stepping back.

My legs shook violently as I stood, barely managing to keep myself steady as alpha Warrens intense gaze burning into my side. He gestured to the woods where the others dissappeared into, I nodded in defeat before following following the rest of the pack to Lake Kilroy. The alpha followed me, closely. I could practically feel his hot breath at my neck as he ran behind me. I picked up the pace, hoping to put some distance between us.

Hours later everyone slowed to a halt before a giant mansion in the woods. Alpha Warren barked out orders, the pack instantly jumping to do his bidding. Half the warriors split off and went to hid in the trees surrounding the mansion, while the rest of the pack flooded into the huge building. I hid off to the side out of everyones way until they were all inside. I dreading going in, but I think I'd rather deal with the pack than the alpha.

I slunk into the building, looking around nervously. Packmembers where scattered all over the place; on the two huge spiral staircases, the foyer, everywhere. My head started to spin as the dread tightened my gut, where do I hide? There are no trees. No big rocks. I'm out in the open and vulnerable, and these monsters will jump at the chance to show me another piece of hell.

My eyes spotted a sofa in the back of the room, I quickly ran to it and scambled to get under it. I pushed myself back until my body was hugging the wall. A little of the tension and dread left as a small feeling of safety blossomed in my chest. For now I'll be fine, until the fight begins. . . the dread came back to me at the thought.