Of course, they were still the same duo, with their constant bickering defining their entire relationship. They somehow managed to find ways to debate, even with the most mundane things. When they were not arguing, they would give each other a cold shoulder. On the other hand, Edward and the others would watch them with amusement, even reminding me not to worry about stepping in and intervening. Guess they were right.

To this day, I could never connect the dots on why they seemed like they wanted to wish death upon one another.

Wait... If Sebastian's here, so is Edward. Those two are always together. My heart fluttered as I surveyed throughout the vicinity, searching for a glimpse of his blond hair or his flat expression. However, my hopes dashed when Sebastian seemed to have come alone. Maybe he had gone home.

"Oh, if you're looking for Ed, he left just minutes ago." He butted into my thoughts, as if he read my expression like a script. "He said he wanted to pick his sister up."

Right, he does have a younger sister. I have faint memories of his siblings—but I knew he was the second youngest in his family—although if I recall correctly, his sister was the same age as my brother, and she sported fiery scarlet hair.

"So then, what brings you here?" My best friend interrogated while the three of us sidestepped for the other students to pass by. "We don't have any business with you."

"We? Only you. I just wanted to speak with Serena," snorted Sebastian, not bothering to glance at her, causing her to grit her teeth. His body subsequently veered towards me. "I'm glad you and Ed are talking again. It has been a while, so please bear with him."

I nodded. "I-I will..." I cast a smile at Aly. "It was all her i-idea, though."

If not for her, Edward and I would silently continue strolling past each other like complete strangers. I would resume the cycle of staring at him from afar, and looked away when he noticed. We would go on with our lives while we shoved all of our shared memories behind our brains.

"Hmm..." Sebastian hummed as he zoomed in on her. "That's clever coming from someone with a flat brain."

"I will gladly flatten yours too," Aly said between her teeth.

"Oh no, I'm literally shaking!" He cried.

Speaking of him, he seemed to have forgotten about the confession he made from sixth grade... I paused on my tracks, ogling at my own shoes. I guess... that's good?

A recollection of him running towards me played in my mind, as with a transfixed gaze and rosy cheeks, he straight up proclaimed he liked me. I remembered my legs shuddering like hell, and I could not even string together a response. In the end, I scampered for Aly and hid behind her. That was the first time ever... a boy genuinely liked me.

"Don't bother with her again!" Aly had shouted. I didn't have to explain what happened; she had promptly chased him off. The young me might be relieved, but guilt devoured the present me in a heartbeat. I could have answered properly... but I chose to leave him hanging.

No, there was no way he could have shrugged it off. Several times I have caught him gazing at me in classes after that, and even a couple of times for years to come. Geez, ain't that awkward...

"Okay, you got your time with Rena. Now please leave," Aly spat, waving the back of her hand. "Shoo, shoo."

"Sheesh, I'm not even done yet," Sebastian protested. While her pace picked up speed, I shook my head and silently mouthed out an apology at him. Also Aly, perhaps it's time to lay off a bit and listen to what he has to say?

"Don't worry," he whispered as we headed for the school gate, "I'm used to her."

"Sounds like you're not though." Aly simpered. Her back faced both of us, so he used her blind spot as the perfect time to impersonate her contorted expression. Putting their unnecessary quarrels aside, conversing with the jolly Sebastian was fortunately a breeze. However, I still have to try getting close to him. Befriending Edward means his circle of friends were also a priority; just what I have done back then.

I have to do this. If I can speak to Edward yesterday, it should be easier with him.

"U-Um, Sebastian...?" I realized my voice might be way too faint for them, but thankfully he quitted poking my best friend's nerves and focused on me instead.

"Just Seb is fine." His welcoming smile returned. "It's not like we just met."

"Right, but about E-Edward..." I fiddled with my fingers. "H-How has he been?"

Aly was about to open her mouth to yawn, but my question had her jaw clamped shut. She slowed her pace and matched ours, brushing her sideburns behind her ears. It might seem she was about to retort, but to my relief, she withheld any sort of ripostes. Seb blinked, but quickly broke into a grin, as if he was aware I was going to ask that.

"How has he been, huh?" Seb gently slithered his hands into his pockets. "If you can't already tell, he's the polar opposite of what he used to be... but he's doing pretty good. He got to join the basketball team last year."

That's awesome.

Back when we were kids, Edward was known for being the basketball ace. He would always lead his team and score points from distant throws, with shouts and cheers all directed at him. At that time, I often turned down his offer of teaching me ways to play. And yeah, I kinda regret that.

"He does have problems because... well, he's blind one side, but hey, he did a slam dunk at the last minute and saved our team's ass! Those seniors better thank him." Seb guffawed before going on. "Also, that dude also got brains in all things mechanics and physics. He had the highest grades in class. I actually feared him, seriously."

Yeah, that... we knew too. He had always gushed on how robots and machines work, even having some toys so he could dissect them and study all the pieces. He's always such a passionate kid.

"Oh, and he recently got promoted to black belt!" He exclaimed as he smacked his fist. "He's reaping lots of achievements here and there."

Wow... he still keeps up with his martial arts. The last time I saw him with his martial arts uniform, a brown belt wrapped around his waist. Listening to all Edward's stories washed me with joy and comfort. I guess regardless of what had happened years ago, he still managed to get his hobbies and skills on track.

"Well, that's all I got. Honestly I'm not the best person to ask about Ed... he himself is the best source," he signified. Although my heart sank at his statement, I already have gotten enough information at this point. Gaining his trust is now my best bet.

"Anyway, you're welcome to come to my table during lunch," Seb cut off my thoughts. "There, you can talk to Ed as much as you want. I'll be there in case you need help."

"Oh, t-thanks..."

"Heh, who wants to sit with an asshole like you?" After moments of silence, Aly ultimately decided it was the time to chime in the conversation.

"Serena, Ed and everyone in my team." Seb shrugged, giving her a smug look.

Once again they were at each other's throat, but I decided to block them out. I should be contemplating on how to approach Edward at the lunch table. I gripped my hands tightly as I tried not to squeal or skip up and down as if I won the impossible lottery.

Well, never mind the lottery. I finally got to be close to Edward.