PROLOGUE

P R O L O G U E | One Year Ago

I was sitting in my workshop trying to figure out how we are going to fix it this time. There has to be a way. I thought to myself. There always is. If we don't fix this now we are all going to die in the next year or two.

I took out my notebook and pen and went over everything again, I went over my notes for like the tenth time, but still found nothing that will help.

I leaned back against my chair and closed my eyes. I haven't slept in days since I found out The Ark was dying. I have been working day and night, trying to find something, anything that will give us more time. Something that will fix this problem. After all it's my job as an engineer and a mechanic to help The Ark and the people on it.

I was ripped out of my thoughts when the door to my workshop swung open. I opened my eyes and sat up straight, before turning towards the person that walked in. The person was no other that Jake Griffin. Jake and I found out together that The Ark was dying. We were working on a job and came across the problem. We have been trying to find a way to save The Ark and give us more time.

"Rae. Please tell me you found something?" he asked with hope in his eyes as he made his way towards me.

"Jake, I have been going over and over already and I still can't find anything." I said to him with sad eyes, before running my hand thought my hair.

I looked just like my mother, Nora. Well that's what my father told me. My father told me I have her fair skin, her beautiful dirty blond hair and her midnight blue eyes. He said I was a mirror image of her. After my mother got sick everything went downhill from there, my father was always working and never had time for me anymore. Maybe my father didn't want to be near me because I reminded him to much of my mother. That's why I became an engineer, so that I had always had something to keep myself busy with, but sometimes it can be stressful on me, after all I am still just a seventeen year old girl.

"Jake what if this time it's not just a glitch? What if this time we can't fix it? We only have a year of air left, maybe two at the most."

"Rae, we have to do something. We can't just give up. This is our people we are talking about. We have to keep trying. We have to. It our jobs." He told me as he rest his hand on my shoulder.

"We have to tell our people. They have the right to know, Jake." I told him before sitting down again resting my head on to my hands.

I rub my hands over my face before looking at Jake again. He was staring at me with sadness. He knows that I haven't slept in days, he knows that I worked my ass off to trying to fix this problem, and he was worried about me. Jake was like a second father to me, not just because his daughter was my best friend, but because he cares about me like a father would care about his child.

"You're right. We have to tell them. They have the right to know." he said.

I stood up from my chair again and went over to Jake before pulling him into a hug. I knew he needed the comfort just as much as I needed it.

"Everything is going to be OK Rae" he said before placing a kiss on my forehead. I nodded before releasing him from the hug and stepped backwards.

"I'm going to go and prepare everything, so that we can tell The Ark. I'll be back soon. You have to stay here, OK Rae? Wait here until I come back. Everything will work out for the best Rae. You'll see." Jake said as he walked towards the workshop's door, opening the door before making his way out, closing the door behind him as he did.

" Jake said as he walked towards the workshop's door, opening the door before making his way out, closing the door behind him as he did

Where is he?

It has been hours. Hours since Jake left and he still wasn't back. I was beginning to worry. He shouldn't be gone this long. He said he was going to be back soon. The worry was eating me from inside out. What if something happen? What if something went wrong?

Out of nowhere the door bursts' open and guards started to enter my workshop.

"What the hell!" I shouted at them.

There appeared a figure from behind the guards and was making his way toward the front of the crowd "Dad?" I said shocked when I saw who it was. There in front of me stood Marcus Kane, my father.

"Dad? What is doing on?" I asked him confused.

"Rae Elizabeth Kane, you are hereby under arrest for treason. Handcuff her" my father said towards two of the guards, they obeyed and made their way towards me, pulled my hands behind my back and handcuffing me.

"Wait what? Dad stop. What the hell are you doing?" I said angry as hell. My own father is arresting me. My own bloody father!

"Take her to solitary "he ordered the two guards. They nodded and began dragging me too solitary. Or should I say try to take me. I fought with all my power that I had and tried to get away from them.

"Where is Jake? What did you do with him? Where is he?!" I shouted towards my so called 'father'.

"He was floated an hour ago. You did this to yourself Rae. We told you to keep your mouth shut, but you didn't listen. Like always. You never listen. Take her away."

"N-No, N-NO, NO!!" I shouted sobbing as the guards dragged me away to solitary.