Chapter 6

"I don't know how good you are with a gun, but I imagine you're pretty good if you survived in Atlanta. The Governor will like that about you. I'm sure that it won't be a problem to let you stay here," Martinez said as he pulled through the gates of Woodbury and they were shut behind us.

"They don't even stop you? They can clearly see me sitting in the passenger seat and they don't at least ask who I am?" Rosaline asked.

Martinez shrugged. "They don't see you as a threat. You're a woman, and-" Martinez stopped when he saw the glare Rosaline was throwing his way. "Look, I'm not a sexist pig even if that's what it seems like. But a lot of the men around here are, which is why nobody stopped us," Martinez explained.

"I don't like being underestimated just because I have boobs," Rosaline said to him fiercely, making sure he knew he was serious.

Martinez pulled off to the side and raised his hands in surrender. "Alright, fine. I won't underestimate you. But for now we've got to get you to see the Governor to make sure he'll let you stay and then get that arm of yours looked at." Rosaline sighed and nodded, and she and Martinez exited the car.

As they walked along the streets, the few people along them stared openly at Rosaline as if she were a specimen up for examination. She didn't like it. All the eyes made her feel trapped and she hated that feeling.

Finally, Martinez led her down a small alleyway and came to a halt outside a door. He knocked and stepped back, waiting for it to open.

This would be Rosaline's moment to sell herself. If the leader didn't like her then she'd get the boot without medical care and she absolutely needed it.

The door opened and a well dressed, slightly handsome man stepped out into the alley. He took in Martinez and Rosaline, and his eyebrows knitted together in confusion. He didn't know who this girl was and she was obviously hurt. What the hell was she doing here?

"I see you've brought along a friend, Martinez," the handsome man, who Rosaline presumed was the Governor, said.

"Rosaline," she said, taking a step forward and holding out her good arm to shake his hand. He looked confused for a moment before shaking her hand and nodding to her.

"I'm known around here as the Governor," he said.

"I found her while I was on my run. She was by herself in Atlanta for a while before she ended up here and I think she'd be a good addition to our town," Martinez said, like he was giving a speech. He seemed nervous but hid it well. Rosaline had a feeling that Martinez knew what was at stake if the Governor said she couldn't stay.

"I'm not looking for any trouble, Governor. Martinez found me and two of my friends, Andrea and Michonne. I'm injured and we were in a pinch and Martinez mentioned that you could fix me up. I'd be more than grateful if you could but I understand if you can't," Rosaline said.

The Governor stared at her a second, contemplating his options. If she had been alone in Atlanta that meant she was a good fighter and they could use her. But he had a bad feeling about her. Something was... off.

"You're welcome to stay. If Martinez trusts you I'm sure you're a fine young woman. Although there is the problem of your friends," the Governor told her. She breathed a sigh of relief but then realized the full scale of what he had said.

"They're on their way now. They won't be a problem. I'm not even sure if they'll stay long," Rosaline assured him.

The Governor nodded. "Take her to the infirmary. Get her fixed up and then give her some food."

Martinez nodded and gestured for Rosaline to follow. She did, but turned when a voice behind her said, "You'll like it here, Rosaline," the Governor said. A chill ran down her spine. It was more of a warning than a promise. A warning that if she didn't like it, she'd better keep it to herself or get out, because the Governor wouldn't tolerate people stepping out of line.