Chapter 11

I slept for fourteen hours straight. The bed was lumpy and something sharp kept poking me in the back, but despite that, I slept until I was more rested than I'd ever been in my entire life. 

Inside the prison walls, it was easy to forget the chaos that existed just outside the fence. Only the sound of moans in the wee hours of the morning ever reminded us of the dangers that lurked just on the other side of our fortifications.

One morning, just after dawn, I got up and made my way to the food storage, hoping to find a snack. As I rifled through the boxes, I heard the sound of footsteps and whipped around, instinctively grabbing for a gun in my waistband that wasn't there. When I saw Glenn emerge from the shadows, I took a deep breath, slowing my beating heart.

"You're up early," he remarked.

"I was hungry," I said with a shrug.

Glenn nodded and began to riffle through a box of his own. He pulled out a box of granola bars and tossed one to me.

"How did you know that was there?" I asked.

"Because I was the one who brought it back," Glenn replied with a chuckle.

I nodded and opened the package, taking a bite and savoring the granola's deliciousness. 

"I'm going on a run later and I need a second set of hands. Do you wanna go?" Glenn asked finally.

"What about Maggie?" I questioned. They usually went on runs together.

"She wants to stay back and take care of Hershel," he replied. 

I nodded. Hershel had finally woken up yesterday and I knew that Maggie would want to spend her time with him now that he was conscious.

"I'm down," I agreed. "It'll give me something other than sit around here and watch Carl to do."

Glenn let out a laugh and for the first time in a long time, I let out a laugh, a real laugh. An stomach-hurting, eye watering laugh like no other. 

We managed to control our laughter and then both went back to our cells to get ready. As I walked into the cell I heard Daryl stir and turn towards me. 

"You're up early," he said thickly.

"Glenn and I are going on a run," I said with a shrug. "Besides, I couldn't sleep anyway."

Daryl nodded and sat up, placing his bare feet on the cold, concrete floor. He stretched out his arms, yawning fiercely, before standing up and walking over to me. 

I slipped a handgun in the back of my waistband and turned to face him. He pulled me into a close, tight hug.

"Be careful," he whispered.

"Always am," I breathed. 

I took a deep breath and reveled in his scent. Smoke, pine, dirt, and something sweet that I couldn't quite make out. 

With one hand, Daryl lifted my chin slowly and my eyes met his. He leaned down and slowly, slowly, he leaned down and kissed me softly on the lips. My hands found their way up to his hair, and I let my fingers intertwine with the shaggy mess. He whimpered slightly and the kiss deepened

I heard a throat clear behind me and broke away, turning to face the door and not even bothering to hide the disdain that I felt all over my face.

However, it didn't last long, as I saw a slightly embarrassed Glenn standing there, trying his hardest not to meet my eyes.

"I just... Why don't you just meet me downstairs," I suggested, and Glenn nodded and disappeared. 

I turned back to Daryl and placed a peck on his lips before completely pulling away. "I've gotta go," I said. 

Daryl nodded and I grabbed my knife from where I'd thrown it the night before. 

Quietly, I snuck downstairs and found Glenn where I'd left him. 

"Ready to go?" I asked.

"Ready as ever," Glenn agreed. 

We left the prison, heading north. Glenn and I made small talk- what he'd been doing while I was gone, the dynamic between everyone now that they were at the prison, and his relationship with Maggie. It almost made me forget that we were venturing outside the safety of the prison walls- and that we would once again be up against the dead.

Hello readers!! I hope you like this chapter!! It's kinda filler I know but it's something.

To all my American readers, happy Thanksgiving!! I hope that you have a wonderful day spent with family and friends. Eat lots of turkey- or whatever it is your family munches on!

Don't forget to vote, comment, and fan!!

DFTBA!