Tough Stuff

Bruised and in pain. It wasn't always like this. One minute you were walking up a mountain for some odd reason, and the next you were at the bottom of a massive opening, aching and on a bed of flowers. Though they seemed to break your fall, it was a long way down, so you examined yourself for broken bones. Sighing in genuine relief, you couldn't find any, but were instead graced with the presence of several bruises and thin scratches. Upon looking around, you didn't see a way back up through the hole, so you rose to your feet.
          There happened to be one solo bandage in your pocket, so you put it onto your scratched cheek before going through a dark corridor. On the other side was only a single beam of light illuminating the center of the room and revealing a golden flower, a strange one at that. This flower had a face and even began to introduce itself to you. "Howdy. My name is Flowey. F-Flowey the-" You assumed "he" cut himself off to look you up and down. "Wait. You're a human aren't you?" The question did surprise you, but not as much as the fact that you were talking to a flower with a face.
          "Yeah I am. My name is Frisk". You grinned, squatting down to his level. Suddenly he grimaced and lowered his head down, the petals covering his face. "Well Frisk. This is a place you don't want to be. You need to leave." His bitterness set you back a little, but curiosity weighed more on your mind. For a flower he wasn't being very bright. "I appreciate the warning, but I can't get out. I fell down this hole that's too far up. If there is another way can you please help me?"
           Startled by this request, Flowey straightened up to meet your eyes in shock. A pout must've formed on your face, because he growled and turned away. "Okay fine! You win! I will help you the best I can. But please, stop making that face? It makes me feel guilty. Besides, if I let another kid die, it would haunt me forever." Flowey stammered, clearly embarrassed. Satisfied with his response, you couldn't help but smile wryly. It faded a second later when you thought of his whole statement. "Wait. Die? Kids have died here?" Flowey sighed and cleared his throat to state the facts.
           "Look. That's why you don't want to be here. This place is filled with monsters, violent ones. They have been collecting human souls to break the barrier that we are all trapped in. There is only one more soul needed and that one is yours. You are their salvation and you will be hunted relentlessly." Flowey shuddered. "Oh and Toriel...she is a threat to be reckoned with. She has tried killing me multiple times and will probably do the same with you. We should avoid her at all costs", Flowey stated.
Nodding, you two proceeded into that of The Ruins.     Immediately you were greeted with puzzles, some being innocent enough and others being dangerous to approach.
          Luckily for you, Flowey knew his way around the place and how to disarm them. Despite all his knowledge, you would still fall down a hole or two occasionally and have to take time to get leaves out of your hair. But the more time you took, the more Flowey became on edge. "Come on Frisk. We need to get out of here before Toriel finds us". Honestly, you wanted to know who she was, but didn't at the same time based on Flowey's reactions to her name. While you were thinking this, both of you came to a bridge of spikes. The sight itself perplexed you. "Flowey?" "Yeah?" You pointed at the bridge. "Honestly what is the point of this puzzle? One could just swim across and past the-". Too late.
           While you were talking about this option, Flowey had already made his way across and effortlessly flicked the switch. "You were saying?" Flowery smirked deviously at your evident disgust. Scoffing, you crossed the bridge.
A while later, you two came into a vast hallway. Though you wanted to find the exit, Flowey had other plans. "Frisk. I am going to teach you the basics of a fight. You need to defend yourself against the monsters". Just like that the surroundings vanished and the two of you were blanketed in black and white.
             The only hint of color left was a red heart that glowed in front of your chest. "You see that heart?" "Well obviously", you responded to get even with him. "Okay, sarcasm aside, that is your soul, the very culmination of your being. It shows itself when in a fight," he took a deep breath. "When in a fight you will be presented with four options. FIGHT to attack the enemy, ACT to talk your way out of battle, ITEMS to heal yourself if you have any, and MERCY to either spare the enemy or run."
            "Right now you are going to practice fighting me to improve your skills." This went against your personal values, even if the concept was interesting. "Flowey I can't. No, I won't fight you. I won't fight anybody." Putting his leaves on his "hips", he rolled his eyes and began to speak again. "Look Frisk. Your kindness is admirable, but you need to put that aside and face me right now." Still, this didn't seem right and you shook your head.
           "Fine then,"he sighed yet again. "You leave me no choice." Suddenly white pellets emerged from thin air and flew swiftly at you. Seeing this, you threw yourself to the ground in time to dodge. However, they then charged for the ground, forcing you to roll to the right. You jumped to your feet, but were too slow to evade them as they popped out of the dirt. Every pellet wounded you and your health was reduced down to half.
           Flowey wasn't being malicious and you knew it, so you just continued to dodge, pressing MERCY every time it was your turn. In fact, this cycle went on until your physical stamina was reduced down to almost nothing.
Now you stopped and closed your eyes as another wave was sent. Smiling widely, you told Flowey you forgave him and then cringed, anticipating the sharp pain of the pellets. The pain never came.
          "Damn it Frisk. Don't do this to me. Please fight back. I just want you to learn. I want you to live". Pellets floating around you disappeared and Flowey began to mope. "I am just scared for you. I mean look at you, with that crooked grin and measly stick. You are like free for the taking." Even when he was being genuine, it was difficult to take this talking flower seriously. Yet this time you made an exception and walked over to him, collapsing to your knees before him and embracing him.
           Flowey struggled at first, but then eased himself into your hug. "It's going to be okay Flowey. I promise. I will work on my defense and dodging. You did a good job". Reassuring him didn't come easily, but after an intense gaze, he looked away as if embarrassed. "Okay! I told you to stop making that face...but let's go." Into the ground he disappeared and reappeared a few feet ahead. "What are you waiting for? Toriel?"
           Finally, you snapped out of it and me walked after him, watching the original scene reappear and color fill the world around them. It was made apparent that this journey was going to be a long one. That fact was indeed made certain when a "sleeping" ghost with headphones was blocking your path. Hearing Z's coming from him wasn't all that convincing, so you walked up to him and asked politely if you two could pass through. Your move wasn't very wise because he turned around yelling at you.
"Look. I came here for some damn piece and quiet. Leave me alone".
              Acid-like tears poured from his eyes and darted toward you and everything went black. Another battle was commencing. With your best efforts you evaded most of his attacks but still got burned with his acidic moves. "Hey. I am not trying to provoke you and I apologize for doing so, but would you please move? I need to go home". Nervousness started to take hold. This ghost wasn't having it.
              "I am not in the mood for this!!!!" He yelled, sending more tears at you. However, you just wiped off your face and stood to face him. "Are you crying? You seem upset. Want to talk about it?" "No are you crazy? I don't want to talk. My attacks are like this". Even though he was shouting and angry, you knew he was depressed about something.
              "There is something or someone causing you this stress", you pleaded. Unexpectedly he changed his tune and became quiet, as if deep in thought. "Well...there is the scrap metal I have for a cousin. He's so obsessed with being a star and he's not even good at it. Show business, show business, and showbiz. Ever since he ditched me, that's all he talks about. So I got mad and haven't talked to him since". Sadness clouded his eyes until he looked at you and covered them with frustration. "But like that matters to you".
               "Because he still talks with you, I think he cares about you a lot. In fact, people who become famous tend to be lonely, so you're the only somebody he's got. You should talk with him again". This must've struck a cord with him because he stopped, completely still. "Alright. I will move and maybe pay him a visit. But this refusal to fight thing you've got going on will probably get you killed. By the way, the name's Napstablook". "Frisk", you smiled.
               Napstablook then vanished into a nearby wall. Flowey was astounded. "You got so lucky that time. We can't do this anymore though. You'll put yourself in grave danger". "I think I'll be okay", you giggled and patted him on the head as color spilled into the room.