Burnt Pie

After what seemed to be a few long hours, you and Flowey found yourselves at the base of a huge tree with ruby red leaves. Behind its beauty you felt a sense of dread for some reason unbeknownst to you. Even though that was the case, you were too tired to care. "Flowey? Can we rest here? I am tired. It will be for just a few minutes. Please?" He turned and raised an eyebrow sassily. "But Toriel and other monsters-". "It's okay Flowey. Just a few minutes, please?"
          Without his answer though, you sat against the base of the tree and smiled weakly at Flowey with your eyes closed. "Just a few min...ut..es...". You were gone, dead sleep. Flowey popped up next to you, thinking of whether to yell at you or stand watch, his mouth wide open and a slight frown was on his face. Seeing your sleeping face helped him make up his mind. "Okay Frisk," he used his leaf to move some strands of hair from your face. "A few minutes it is". Looking around, he settled.
           His full intention was to watch over you, but his eyes became droopy and he fell asleep on your lap. "Oh my! Is that a human?" A high pitched feminine voice startled you til you woke and you jumped to your feet, giving Flowey a rude awakening. "My my you are a human. Hello my child. I am Toriel, caretaker of The Ruins." Great. The last monster you wanted to run into and here she was right in front of you. Glancing down at Flowey, he looked scared. Again, great. Just great. "You must be exhausted. Here take my hand and come with me".
           Her gesture wasn't an invitation unfortunately, but rather a command. She forcefully grabbed your hand and began quickly walking to a house that you assumed was hers. That's when you began to notice her features. Toriel resembled that of a goat and her eyes were yellow with red irises and red underneath the bottom eyelids. Her dress was torn and covered in dust, but you weren't sure what it was or where it came from. Despite her features she appeared nice enough, unlike what Flowey was depicting her as. Still, you kept what he said in mind and remained cautious.
          "We're here! Luckily for you, there is a surprise in the oven and I already happen to have a room prepared for you. Come on in". What about Flowey? "Um Toriel?" "Yes my child?" "What about Flowey? Can't he come in with me?" At this Toriel frowned, becoming stern. "Of course not. That weed will tear up my house with his method of travel. No". You became sad and hopeless, thinking that there was nothing you could do. Then Flowey spoke up.
          "Wait. I have an idea". To your surprise, he uprooted himself from the ground and told you to squat down. You did and he wrapped himself around your arm snugly. "There should be no problems now right Toriel?" Flowery smirked with newfound confidence. Toriel rolled her eyes and took a deep breath. "Nope. I guess not. Come on in". She escorted the two of you in.
          At first glance the place looked almost friendly. Then you noticed there were a bunch of sharp objects laying around and the room was dark in regards to its vibe. When you three stopped in front of a door, Toriel grinned, proudly proclaiming that this was your room. Shortly after she ran off when a burning smell made its way across the house.
          Both of you went and inspected the room. There were old, but cute plushes, a closet with various striped shirts, and a box with gently used shoes in several different sizes. The environment felt so peaceful that Flowey had to be wrong. She wasn't a killer. Right? "Flowey, she's different than what you said. In fact, she's the exact opposite. What is your problem with her?"
"You see those shoes in the box?" He asked and you nodded. "How do you think she got a hold of those? The store? I think not. What about those shirts? They're used and in different sizes like the shoes. Again, they weren't from the store". Thinking about this possibility led you to believe that Flowey was right.
           Upon closer inspection the closest and box made you become unsettled. However, your own clothes were all cut up and ripped."Hey Flowey? How do you feel about a flower pot?" He squinted at you briefly. "Sure. As long as it's good". It was settled. Together you both searched through Toriel's house. There was a vase that was too large, a cup you could probably use but Flowey didn't like, and nothing else really in the house that wasn't hostile looking. You took the search outside and finally found a cracked pot with a chip in the top. "Will this work?"
            As if pondering an important decision, Flowey finally said it would work so you filled it with dirt and placed him in it. "But why did you think of this all the sudden?" Blushing, you decided to answer even though you were uncomfortable. "I was going to change my clothes and I didn't want you looking or on my arm at that time." Flowery instantly blushed and turned around. "I wouldn't look at you anyway".
            Yet again, your plans were postponed because Toriel immediately dragged you into the kitchen when you entered the house. "Look here. I know it's a little burnt, but I made you a pie. Here, sit and I will cut you a slice". Listening to her, you sat down at the worn table. To begin with it didn't look appetizing, and Toriel wasn't going to take no for an answer. Your suspicions were confirmed when she placed a charred pie onto the table along with a fork.
            "Is it good?" She asked like every mom does before their kid even eats the first bite. Gathering your determination you took a big piece and shoved it in your mouth, which was greeted by the dryness of dirt and taste of burnt ingredients. Trying your best not to grimace or gag you swallowed it and coughed afterwards. "Y-yeah. It is. But do you think I could have a glass of milk? I think it would be better with milk."
           She smiled and hurriedly gave you a glass, which made you feel guilty for lying. "I am glad you like it. I was going to use butterscotch, but I didn't have enough so I replaced it with monster dust. Clever right?" Toriel was genuinely pleased with herself and you felt coerced into staying polite, so you agreed silently and washed down the pie with milk. It was gross and felt wrong, but you had to stay on her good side. Flowey gagged the whole time he watched you eat.
            As soon as you were done, she allowed you to go play. Instead you went and packed up the clothes that fit you and a pair or two of shoes in a backpack that was laying in your room. "Better hurry and find the exit. She is probably going to kill you soon". "Flowey!" That shut him up long enough for you to pick everything up and step into the hallway. You noticed what appeared to be a basement. "Hey. Do you think an exit would be down there?" "Yep. It would be down there. Let's look".
            In the basement was a barren and dark hallway that seemed endless. Running through it, you both reached the end and went around the corner to find a door. "That's it. Go through the door", Flowey yelled, filling you with hope. Just as you pressed the door, bright and hot flames flew past you, hitting the door and making you jump away from it. "You little brat! After taking you into my home, giving you food and shelter, you go and try to run away behind my back?"
            Toriel had a fist in the wall beside her and rage written on her face. "You ungrateful wretch. How dare you!" She shouted, throwing more flames that you dodged with haste. Your stomach felt sick from either fear or the pie; you couldn't tell. "Look Toriel. I am sorry, but I want to go home. I won't fight you and I appreciate what you did, but I really need to go".
            For a second she paused and looked down with a flicker of sadness and remorse. That expression came from her heart and you knew it. Yet it was quickly masked with malice.

"You're not going anywhere".