Chapter 6

So sorry I haven't posted a new chapter in a while! I've been busy with school and I also just moved, but along with that I didn't really have any ideas? Then, I started to get some more votes/comments on my other story, Half A Heart and that just drove up my motivation a lot. So I'm planning on keeping up these stories more, maybe even add another one I have in the making, but no promises for constant updates. So sorry, but I'm glad to be back writing again!

-Rhea xoxo

_____________________

The first thing she heard was a devastating, ear-shattering boom. Time slowed down as she turned from her small garden of Loivissa's and fruits. Her stomach dropped like a stone, a bad feeling spreading within her. It was like slow motion. She heard it before she saw it. Only moments after the resonating boom, she could hear a rustling sound. Wind. It rushed over and through everything, destroying all that stood in it's path. As the wind traveled across the land, it picked up various debris with it.

As Amara saw it rushing towards her, she could see several people uplifted by the air, houses, horses, even a young grey dragon was stuck in the destructive winds, unable to escape.

All that happened in a mere few seconds. As Amara saw the rolling wind and debris rushing towards her, she sought the magic in her blood and willed it to protect her. The earth suddenly opened up beneath her feet, dropping her into the large hole and sealing it up once more with dirt and stone. The wind had been mere moments away from wiping her out.

She wasn't that deep beneath the surface. She could still hear the winds sweeping over the land above. Amara heard cries, roars, and buildings crumbling as the winds pushed down everything in their path.

Amara stayed in that little hole for three days. The blowing finally stopped on the third day and taking a chance, she willed the magic to let her go. The hole opened up and she climbed out of her wet, brown prison. What she saw astounded her.

Everything was destroyed. Only a few patches of grass had survived. The polished stone buildings that once stood tall were now rubble. All of the trees were now uprooted, some miles from where they had been originally. The ones that had been too late protecting themselves from the wind were now dead, their bodies scattered. Some were dismembered. Amara looked around, and for miles she could only see destruction. Did this wind spread all throughout Alagaësia? If it did, Alagaësia was destroyed. There would be no more anything.

Amara sank to her knees and cried, her voice joining the few others who had survived the destruction.

Her eyes opened slowly, blinking to accommodate the early morning light. She sat up and stared blankly into her lap. That dream... it wasn't a dream. It was a memory. One she hadn't though about in a long time. Amara shook her head, ridding it, and stood up.

The fire had gone out during the night, now only burning orange embers. The mare whinnied and continued to munch on some grass as Amara woke Brom. The man grumbled as he woke and shooed her away.

They were both silent as they packed up for the day, Brom placing everything in his saddlebags and Amara simply dusting off her clothes, seeing as she had brought nothing else with her.
Brom was rummaging through the saddlebags when he finally spoke up. "I didn't bring enough food for two."

"That's alright," Amara replied. "I can feed myself." Besides, the doe she ate yesterday would fill her stomach for a few days and she could hunt when she was hungry again.

They set off, Brom on his chestnut mare and Amara on her feet. It wasn't hard for her to keep up as they wound their way through the forest. She had asked where they were headed a few hours into their day, but Brom responded with a grunt and, "Wherever the rumors lead us." They didn't know where Galbatorix and his Forsworn were hiding out, though Amara and Brom both thought somewhere near - or in - the Spine seeing as it was secluded and anyone rarely went in there.

It was two hours into the afternoon when Amara's heart quickened. She was ahead of Brom, scouting the trail ahead when she heard something in the distance. At first she thought it could be a large animal - like a bear or wolf - but quickly dismissed that notion when she heard it growl. Her hand went to the hilt of her sword just as Brom came up behind her. He halted his horse, and though Amara couldn't see, he had a confused look on his face. He could see she was wary of something that he could not sense. He wrapped his digits around his own sword in caution.

"What is it?" He asked, his voice low.

Amara didn't answer at first, listening for any clues as to what it was that she heard. A barbaric yell echoed through the forest and Amara swore.

"Urgals," She said simply, turning to Brom and drawing her sword. "There's eight of them headed our way."

The male frowned and drew his own sword before dismounting from the mare.

"Do you think we can fight them off?" He asked her, eyes scanning the brush, searching for any signs that the beasts were among them.

"We're going to have to." Amara replied just as an Urgal showed itself to them, running at the pair with a blood-stained battle-axe above it's head and a shout in in it's throat.

With a grunt, Amara swung her sword and cut the Urgal's stomach, though only enough to slightly hinder it. With a growl, it charged again, his axe swinging horizontally and aimed towards her neck. He intended to decapitate her. She ducked just in time, keeping her head, and she struck out with her foot, her strength able to knock the Urgal on it's rear. She stood again and thrust the sword into it's chest. With another gasp the Urgal was dead.

Amara turned to Brom and saw that he was battling two on his own. Grabbing her sword from the dead Urgal, she turned to help her companion. One Urgal was cut down, then two, but by then five more had joined in the fight and Amara and Brom were becoming overwhelmed. Both had cuts and bruises, perhaps even broken bones and wouldn't last much longer against so many Urgals. One more was killed by Brom before they were captured. He and Amara had swords to their throats and promised death if they didn't surrender. The Urgals then hit them over the head, knocking them out.
She awoke later to darkness, and a piercing headache. Feeling around, Amara found she was on a cold, wet stone floor with the walls made out of the same material. She was surrounded by iron bars and also found chains were in the corner, bolted to the wall, but not on her wrists for which she was grateful for.

"Brom," she called out in a loud whisper. "Brom!"

After a few minutes and more calls of his name she heard groaning. "What the hell?" The man muttered and relief filled Amara.

"Brom. Thank the gods you're alive. I think we're in a prison, but I can't see anything," She replied before hearing more scuffling.

"You're right," He replied. "I felt around. Definitely feels like a prison to me. Do you want to see if magic works?"

"Yeah," Amara spoke before settling down into a cross-legged position. Feeling within her, she brought her magic forth, whispering in the Ancient Language for the bars to break, but nothing happened. She tried once more before realizing the problem. "Damnit. We're warded. Magic won't work."

She heard Brom swear just as another sound broke the air; that of a door opening and footsteps leading down stairs. Amara steadied herself, getting ready for a fight. Urgals had brought them here. Perhaps they were returning to finish the job.

A torch was lit and Amara had to shield her eyes as they acclimated to the light. When they did, she found a form standing on the other side of the bars, barely lit, but able to make out his features. They were dark; black hair, beard, and eyes, mouth turned down in a permanent scowl turned up into a smirk and clothed in expensive black clothing. But there as also a look of triumph on his face as he stared down at her. A feeling of dread filled Amara as she recognized the features. It was Galbatorix.