Chapter 5

Oromis left the day after next. Amara had tried to go with him, but he refused. "Doru Areaba is no place for you right now," he had said. It was armed to the tooth, a military outpost. But wouldn't that the safest place for her? With dozens of Dragon Riders? Oromis didn't think so. Or maybe it was his fatherly instinct towards her. He had said that Galbatorix was more likely to attack Doru Areaba then Ilirea. He had hugged her once more, placing a peck on her cheek before climbing onto Glaedr. Then the dragon said good-bye before he opened his wings and took to the sky.

She was sad to see them go, but Oromis promised that after Galbatorix was taken care of, that they would meet again. Amara only hoped that that would come soon. She wished the world to be as it was.

This time, light grey fur adorned her body. Her black nose and muzzle shifted as she took in the scents around her. Her body was crouched low to the ground, her icy-blue eyes watching the greenery in front of her. Ears moved back and forth constantly, taking in every little noise from an ant to the deer a hundred yards in front of her. Her tail swished, moving the dirt behind her as she crept forward.

The rush of hunting was something she always savored. Elves didn't normally eat meat. They were one with nature, as Amara liked to say, and after being in an animal's mind and feeling what it was like to be alive, no elf could take that from them. While Amara could see why they did that, she also accepted that there was a natural order to things. She was the hunter. They were the prey.

While in front of other elves, she would respect their customs and reject any meat, but it wasn't completely absent from her diet. Close to no meat was served in Ilirea and Amara had the hunger for something other then greens and fruit.

She took a deep breath in, scents assaulting her nose, but she only focused on one. The doe in front of her was grazing, it's fawn next to her doing the same. Amara crept forward, paws inching forward one by one. She was downwind from the deer. It wouldn't smell her until she was upon it.

Seconds ticked by as she picked the perfect opportunity. The deer eventually moved to another patch of grass. It was now positioned with it's head away from Amara, it's rear facing her.

Now.

The grey wolf lept from it's hiding spot, and the doe looked up, it's black eyes wide. It tried to run, but Amara was too fast. She was on the deer's back in seconds and her teeth ripped out it's throat before it crumpled to the ground. Still with it's mothers head in her jaws, she watched as the orphaned fawn ran from the commotion. If it found it's herd it would most likely live.

Amara then settled down to eat her fill.

The sun was directly over head when she caught another familiar scent. A pink tongue lolled from her mouth, licking her paws and the fur around her mouth of any left over blood. As soon as she was cleaned, she ran, her nose close to the ground, tracking the scent. She left the deer there. The carcass still had meat on it and it would be an easy meal for another animal.

She watched from an elevated plot of land as the man passed under her. He had left? It couldn't have been any later then this morning, judging how far he was from Ilirea. She followed the man upon the chestnut horse for over an hour before deciding to reveal herself.

Amara transformed herself back into her original form, making sure the rest of the blood was cleaned from her olive skin. She emerged from the trees, right in front of Brom. He frowned upon seeing her and pulled on the reins. The chestnut horse halted.

"What are you doing here?" he asked her, his voice rough.

Amara shrugged, "I wanted to know where you were going." She saw that he had saddle bags on his horse. He was traveling far.