Prologue

*Just a warning, the chapter below is very graphic. A battle is taking place so there will be a lot of blood. If you are uncomfortable with this, please go ahead and skip to Chapter 1.*

*****************

        A growl rumbled from the wolf's throat as it's icy blue eyes surveyed the battle in front of her. Swords clashed, spells cast, and blood spilled all in a matter of seconds. A rider's screams could be heard as he was cut down, a sword jabbed into his gut. Then a dragons roar could be heard moments later. When a rider dies, so does his dragon. A terrible consequence, but one that the wolf also found beautiful. What was the point of living if your partner of heart and mind was not there as well?

        The wolf snarled, red-stained teeth bared and ran towards the attacker. The rider wasn't expecting the sudden attack and wasn't fast enough to defend himself against the monstrous grey wolf. Her teeth sunk into his shoulder. Teeth strong enough to penetrate his armor. The man screamed and attempted to utter words in the Ancient Language that would get the massive beast off of him, but she was too fast. She opened her maw again and bit into the flesh on his throat. Another dragon's pained roar could be heard.

        Warm, sticky blood pooled into her mouth and she swallowed a gulp before releasing her jaw. The man had fallen to the ground. He was gasping for air, but soon fell still.

        Blue eyes looked solemnly at the dead rider before she turned to the other whom she had saved. She saw a light green dragon next to him, the two sharing a private conversation. His armor was stained red with blood, but it looked like he would be alright.

        "T- Thank you," The rider spoke, his brown eyes baring into the wolf's icy ones.

        'You would have done the same for me, Briam,' the wolf spoke, though her words never pierced the air. The wolf's fur then shrank back into it's skin, it's muzzle shortened and it's face changed to that of a human's. In a blink of an eye, the massive, bloody beast was now a girl.

        Blood stained her pale skin and brown hair as it once did her fur, but she would worry about that later. Now was not the time to worry about cleanliness. She knelt next to Briam and put her hands over his wound. Her blue eyes closed and she began to whisper. The words came naturally, it was her first language, after all.

        Under the armor, the skin knitted itself back together and within seconds Briam was on his feet again, a light green sword in his hand. A small smile graced his face. "Thank you, Amara. I will repay you some day," Brim said as he climbed onto his dragons back.

        "Win this battle, and I will be happy." The female waved as the green dragon spread his wings and took to the sky with a roar.

        Despite this seemingly happy moment, a deadly battle still raged around her. The majority of the fighting was in the air. On wings, the dragons fought tooth and claw against each other as the riders that sat on their backs clashed swords and cast spells. The night would have been dark, dotted with the white light of the stars, but dragon fire and spells light up the sky.

        Her blue eyes found a large dragon as black as obsidian, a young rider sitting upon his back, a sneer on his face and greasy black hair whipping in the wind. She hated the man that sat there. This was all his doing.

        Only a year ago had Alagaësia had been a peaceful and prosperous place. Then a young boy lost his dragon. His anger and sorrow of loosing his companion of heart-and-mind drove him over the edge. He lost his mind and declared war on the Dragon Riders. They were now fighting against Galbatorix, and his Forsworn, those loyal to his cause.