Worthless Events

One, two, three. Four steps and he reached the sidewalk. The afternoon wasn't even half through, but he'd already had a full day. He would just get in his car and drive home. He wanted to rest, but doubted he would even be able to. The excitement with the project was still ferociously flowing through his body. It was more likely that he would work a bit more, develop it a little more.

All of these thoughts occurred within a thousandth of a second, while he payed attention to the cars. He was still a little far from the crosswalk, but the street wasn't particularly packed with cars. He planned on crossing right there. What was that? For a moment he thought he imagined things, however, he realized it was real: all people on the sidewalk, as far as he could see them, crossed the street at same time.

"Well, that doesn't necessarily mean anything...But..."

He turned around and back, observing. In fact, the sidewalk was now completely empty. All of a sudden, they all ran to the other side of the street, as if one of the buildings this side was on fire, or as if a car went up the sidewalk. Or even as if someone was waving a gun in the middle of a crowd. But he looked around once more and was sure: nothing had happened. Also no one, apparently, noticed that a single person remained on the other side. Apart from the fact that they all crossed the street at the exact same time and, it caught his attention as well, no one crossed back from the other side, everyone got on with their lives normally. In fact, now a few people left the buildings or showed up around the corners and the sidewalk was getting crowded again.

Straightening his body, he let out a sigh and decided he would get to the crosswalk. Although absolutely nothing special had happened, it had been really crazy for such a small amount of time. And for such a mundane situation. It's best to keep it safe. All he had to do was cross the street, get in his car parked on the other side and drive home.

The crossing went on with no further troubles – not that any had occurred previously, at least not outside his fertile imagination. He walked a few steps on the sidewalk and, how weird, he could've sworn he parked the car somewhere else! But, well, that was earlier and the streets were nearly empty then. Now, with more cars around, it was obvious he would find the new scenario unfamiliar. And he still had a strong feeling about the previous event. An event that only happened inside his mind. He pulled the keys out from his pocket and leaned towards the door.

"What...but...come on car, what's the matter?!"

He then kneeled next to the car door, pushing a little harder.

"Come on!! Come on!!"

He leaned on the door to stand up. Then, looking inside the car, he realized. That's why he had the impression he'd parked somewhere else: he was trying to open someone else's car!! He searched around, unease. Wondering if someone noticed it. The car owner, maybe? Once again, everyone around him minded their own businesses. The course of existence flowed undisturbed.

Quickly, he hurried towards his own car. He found it and immediately opened the door. He leaned in order to step inside the car, but before that, well, after those last few minute, it was safer to check the back seat, and even, oh no, he was not being paranoid!! The glove compartment needed to be checked. And also check under the seats for bombs. He sat facing the wheel, took a deep breath and let out a sound laugh. All this fuss just to get in the car and go home!!!