To Fly

A boy was considered by his parents and teachers – and certainly most of his classmates – too silly for his age. His older sister, for being really mature, or for believing when told girls are more mature, used to prank him frequently taking advantage of his naivety.

– I wish I could travel through time, like the Doctor!

– You know you can, don't you?

– Can I?

– If you give me money, I'll tell you where they sell those booths.

– But the Tardis is not from this world!

– That's what they say on TV ... I need forty bucks.

And so she had her fun, abusing the poor boy. One day she decided that not only would she make fun of him, but would also manage to get rid of that disgusting pile of comic books taking up space in the room they shared.

– You know you can fly, don't you?

– That's a lie! You won't fool me this time.

– It's true... I read it in one of those websites with curious facts... about things the scientists hide from us.

– I know all good curiosities websites.

– This one's in another language, that's why you never read it.

– Whatever, it's all a lie.

– It's got something to do with alchemy. You know? That thing where you give something in return.

– Equivalent exchange.

– Exactly, equivalent exchange. You sacrifice something and then you fly.

– That easy? What a load of baloney.

– It's not that easy. In order to fly you must jump and miss the ground, then if you sacrificed something really meaningful to you, you'll be able to miss the ground. If you don't offer something, you'll jump and hit your face on the floor, but if you did, you'll miss the ground and fly.

– If that's a lie, this time I'm telling mom!

Much to his displeasure, the boy piled his books in the bathroom, inside the shower, and set fire to everything, while his sister watched over fulfilled and triumphant. They both left the bathroom.

– Well, now it's time to jump off and miss the floor.

– Wait... only one thing left.

The boy left and returned with a towel tied around his neck. The girl rolled her eyes and held a sigh.

– Ok, now go.

The boy took a deep breath, shut his eyes, stretched his arms, leapt to the ground and flew out the window.

@@r