Tilting her head to the side, Celia frowned as well. I knew that she felt bad for me... Pity. But instead of agreeing with me on how horrible the situation was, or dragging me down for it, she settled on telling me a story.

A story about a girl named Margaret.

It was said that Margaret Vaz was the daughter of a noble council member. A council member with great power, wisdom, and strength. Others looked up to him... Praised him... Worshipped him even. Which is why he went to great lengths to maintain a great self image of himself and his daughter, Margaret.

Little did he know that Margaret, a vampire bounded by death and blood had fallen in love with a werewolf. A man forced to the moon and bounded by a curse.

They knew that their love was forbidden, unethical in the eyes of their family. But like all that partake in a scandalous love affair... They simply didn't care about what others may think.

Margaret's father was ashamed when he learned news of his daughters infidelity and sneaking around. He was so furious, he punished her just as he did others who rebelled against their rules. Despite her being his daughter and one and only kin.

He snapped her neck. Killing his one and only daughter with no remorse. Killing her and her unborn child as he did.

Margaret's lover was livid, heartbroken. He was no longer the man that he once was, but a man full of hatred and anger.

It's even said that till this day he still walks the earth with that deep hatred edged into his heart.

"Wow." Brushing my fingers through my hair. I leaned on my elbow and propped my hand under my chin. "Who was Margarets lover?"

Turning her head, Celia sighed. Her eyes glazing over with unspoken words and wonder. "I don't know." She then mumbled. Though from the look in her eyes I could surely tell that she did indeed know.

I wanted to push her into giving me a name, for I didn't see the big deal in doing so... But stopped myself short as we both heard the steads pound their hooves amongst the ground. Creating quiet a commotion and ruckus as they did. "I'll go see what has them in such a fright." Pushing the covers aside, I stood to my slipper covered feet. Brushing a few straws of hay out of my hair as I slowly climbed down the rickety old ladder.

Switching on the flashlight I tapped it against the palm of my hand a few times as it began to flicker on and off. It wasn't till the light became a steady glare, did I reluctantly peer over the stalls. Celia mentioned that occasionally a mouse may slip it's way through the field and into the barn. Startling the horses. But as my eyes settled on Alec I realized that rodents wasn't the issue.

His back was slumped against one of the many stalls. His head hanging low, nose nearly pressed to the aging paper of a book as it always was. He was so engrossed in his book that he hardly noticed me standing there at first. "Your not supposed to be in here." He mumbled. Not once daring to spare me even a slight glance.

With the flashlight in hand, I looked to the ground. Covered with straws of hay and dirt. "I know. I just-..." Sighing I shook my head. "-... I just needed a moment to think." Though there was nothing to think about. The Petrovics have already made up their mind with sacrificing me in their annual ritual. I doubt that pleading for them to see their decision through will change their mind.

Brushing his finger against the corner of a page, Alec graciously closed his book. Not bothering to save the page he was on, though I'm guessing he simply had it mesmerized. "Three days." He mumbled. "In three days you'll be forcefully bounded to my brother." Sighing aloud in frustration, Alec brushed his fingers through his hair before standing to his feet. Brushing the back of his trousers off as he did. "I have to go. Don't stay out long."

Before I could utter a single word in response, Alec slipped through the slightly cracked door leading the barn. Leaving me there as I stood helpless, dreadful, and alone.

***

A L E C

"Why?" I mumbled to no one in particular.

Shoving my hands into my pockets, I continued to pace amongst the fireplace in a rushed manner. My hair was tousled and messy, my shirt slightly unbuttoned, cuffs lazily rolled to my elbows.

For once in my life, I happened to find myself conflicted and overly confused. Maybe even on the brink of falling in love.

Ellanore was not like other girls, of course I could see this. She was fragile, yet strong-minded. Despite all that's about to happen. I couldn't will myself to stop thinking of her. No matter how hard I tried. The feeling of her soft and dainty fingers brushing upon my very own would always flash through my mind. The sound of her voice, and angel like features.

Earlier in the barn, I felt something. It was faint but there. A small spark of rippling fire through my fingertips as we touched.

I wanted nothing more then to provoke these feelings of mine, and see where they may lead me... but reality and common sense would set in.

Ellanore was a human. And feelings of the unknown, or not, it was said in law that a vampire was to not partake in any such thing with a human, werewolf, nor a witch. It was our one most seed through rule, not to be taken lightly if betrayed.

Sighing, I looked to the fireplace. My eyes dancing over the flames as they crackled and danced. My mind drifting back to Ellanore for the humph time that night.

 My mind drifting back to Ellanore for the humph time that night