Chapter 40

I move my legs and change my position from being supported on my knees to sitting on my bum with Harry doing the same. Our legs closing behind each other's back, our hold still tight, our need for proximity enormous, our need to be close equal to our need to breathe. Our eyes have dried but we are far from done. I don't know how many minutes we spend on that floor but it is what glues us back together. It is our reconnecting point. He kisses my neck hesitantly afraid that I will flinch, that I will reject him.

"I'm sorry" he whispers for the hundredth time, his voice a knife, his sighs slashing my heart reminding me of what he'd done and who he'd done it with.

"I need to know Harry" I finally speak moving to look at him fresh tears threatening to escape.

"Need to know what?"

"Did you sleep with Charlie, too?" I ask him hoping for a negative answer.

"No, no baby , no. I wouldn't do that to you" his choice of words a failure.

"OK" I reply avoiding his eyes. I don't want him to see the hurt they carry.

"I didn't mean to hurt you" he says after a few moments of silence.

"Then why? It's not like you are short of offers Harry" I really need to know.

"You knew I hated her. A thousand times I told you that she makes my life hell. What urged you to do this?" I cry.

"You weren't mine Ella. You chose to leave. The rules didn't apply. You gave up. She was just there. I don't know. She made herself available and ..."

"And what?"

"And I'd seen Chase"

"So?"

"He was there with my friends, our friends talking about you. Ella this and Ella that. She is in France, she is doing this and she is doing that. Shit! I don't know. I got jealous. I know you weren't together. Jimmy would have told me but he was there with you and I was not and I was jealous and she just made herself available" he tries to explain making everything a mess.

"Harry stop talking please" I exhale. I take a deep breath and cup his face in a tenderly almost motherly manner.

"You say you didn't want to hurt me but you did. We don't treat people we claim to care about that way Harry. I know we weren't together and technically I don't have the right to be mad but I am. I am hurt that you turned to her of all people just to feel good about yourself. If you felt for a second that there was nothing wrong with what happened then you would have told me. It was a really stupid immature unHarry move and baby you are not that person, right?" I am looking for a sign that I will not have to worry about things like that again.

"I love you more than I ever loved anyone in my entire life and for me to be able to say that is a big deal Ella" he shakes his head.

"I have been faithful to you while we were together and I will continue to be if this hasn't broken us" he adds.

"I don't have to try Ella. I don't want anyone else. It's not like I am restraining myself, avoiding temptation...like I am this saint who deprives himself or anything. Loving you comes natural to me. It's not an effort. It just is what it is, effortless. Please trust me again" he pleads.

"I trust you"