Chapter 31

Harry: Please I need to talk to you the text reads and although I know we have volumes to talk about the truth is that the outcome is still the same. Harry is leaving and I am not.

I start drying my hair seeing my screen light up again.

Harry: Come on, please Ella. I gave you space but it's been three days. How much more space do you need? I have to talk to you

Avoiding him was not the answer but what would I say to him? I decide to ignore it for a little longer because talking about it would mean accepting the fact that he would be going, accepting the fact that he would no longer be mine. Actually I really doubt he ever was at this point. I finish drying my hair and study some more for my finals. I was right about the manager of Shadows offering me a job for the summer now that Chrys has quit and of course I accepted but for completely different reasons this time. I need to keep myself busy with Harry away and going home would mean more free time, more time to drown in self pity and I don't want that. My phone lights up again but this time it's Ed.

Ed: I need heeeeeeelp. Please come over and help me with World History. I am way behind and we are working tonight. Bring your stuff here and we can go together. Pleaaaaaaaaaase.

I am actually glad with Ed's text because now I have the perfect excuse to tell Harry without being a bitch so I text Ed back agreeing to meet him at Jimmy's in twenty minutes and text Harry that Ed needs me to help him with finals and I can't see him as I work after that. Childish? Yes. Immature? Yes. Effective? Yes. He texts me back saying that he understands and I feel relieved. I pack a bag with an outfit for the night, make up, my laptop and I make it to Ed's at twenty minutes as promised. Although I have a key I never use it unless Jimmy asks me to because you never know what you might encounter at Jimmy's; I mean I wouldn't want to walk on him having "fun" with a girl or girls on any surface of the apartment. I mean that would scar me for life. So I ring the bell and I am soon faced with a mop of ginger hair at the door but as he opens it wider I pale, my previous smile fading. Harry is sitting on Ed's sofa bed, his elbows resting on his knees looking serious and hurt.

"I'm sorry" Ed whispers "but you wouldn't talk to him otherwise" he explains and he gestures for me to go in

"I'm sorry" Ed whispers "but you wouldn't talk to him otherwise" he explains and he gestures for me to go in. I am disappointed in Ed but choose not to say anything. I don't know what to say really. I am all out of words. I feel like I have swallowed a huge rock, my steps heavy and shy. I see a small bag on the floor and figure it's Ed's. He will probably leave and by the looks of it Jimmy is not here either. When Harry raises his head to look my way I die a little bit inside. He looks tired and drained.

"Ella" he mutters.

"Harry"

"I am going to Anne's. Harry will give you a lift to work if you don't wish to drive there. I gotta go" Ed says taking the bag shutting the door on his way out.

"So we have come to this" he finally says just as I sit in an armchair opposite him.

"This?" I frown.