Side Story (3): What do you mean LAVA on the FIRST FLOOR?! (Part 1)

[Nanya's point of view]

"Nyahaha! A dungeon! A dungeon after such a long time! Feels like the good ol' days, doesn't it?!" I laughed as I gave Tuberculus a pat on the back.

I was so excited to finally be able to explore an unknown dungeon after so may years that I didn't care if it was one with 400 floors or just two! Illsy said it had only two, so we were expecting to finish it in two hours or so, maybe three if we looked around a bit more and made a complete map of the place.

"You always were the first one to get excited from the little things." commented Rufus with his usual monotone voice.

I swear, that man only showed excitement when he found a new book! He and Zertan made a perfect match, the other was happy only when his plants bloomed.

Well, I didn't let his words keep me from having fun. I was quite curious as to what sort of bosses we would meet and how complicated he made the whole thing. So far, we were just descending on a pair of very long stairs. This alone was quite unusual. In most cases, the first dungeon was a building or a cave on the surface. I never heard of an underground one, but then again, Illsy was a Godlike Dungeon Lord. There were a lot of things to expect from him.

"When will these stairs ever end?" grumbled Angius.

"The center of the world?" I joked.

"Ugh..." he groaned.

When we finally reached the last steps, we arrived at a big, empty room made out of granite. It was the first one, so we weren't expecting to face too much in there. None of us was on guard.

"Any signs of life?" I asked.

"None from what I see... Is this just an empty room?" asked Angius as he scanned the room with his eyes.

"Sigh... First room and no trap? Maybe giving it two hours to clear was a bit too long? How about half an hour?" commented Rufus in his usual monotone.

Apparently, he got bored and pulled out his book from his bag to continue reading. I simply shrugged and moved on. He was there with us only as an extra, just in case there was a mechanism that required multiple triggers to be activated at the same time. In general, those sort of traps could be found from the third floor down in certain dungeons. Normal dungeons usually didn't have anything on the first floor, barely a summoned creature or two, in rest, they created small habitats for random wild animals. Even normal villagers could venture into them up to the first two or three rooms without worrying too much about it.

"A hallway..." said Tuberculus when we walked out of the room.

We paid extra attention to where we stepped, but the area was clear. Still, it was getting a bit exciting.

A few moments later, we arrived in front of a big empty wall with two passages leading to our left and right respectively.

"Toss a coin and pick a side?" asked Angius.

"Left. Always go left." I said and went on that path without bothering myself to listen to the result of the coin toss.

Following the path, we encountered the first trap. Three spike traps were laid in front of us with a clear dead end on the other side.

"Now what?" asked Angius.

"Are you wearing your Magic Armor?" I asked.

"Yes, why?" he replied and threw me a questionable look right before I kicked him in the behind and sent him flying to the other side of the traps.

He slammed into the wall and fell down on the floor with a groan.

"See anything there?" I asked.