Chapter 17

_Travis's P.O.V._
We walked up the driveway and knocked on the girls' front door. Aphmau opened the door.
"Hey guys! The normal group is here already." She ushers us inside where we see everyone else already here. "You guys were the last two to show up."
We all walked into the living room. Gene was sitting on the couch, laughing at something Dante said. He didn't look very different from how he did in high school. The same slightly messy dark hair and deep blue eyes. He had on a black shirt and jeans, which wasn't very different from the last time I saw him. He noticed us and stopped talking to Dante.
"Hey Travis, Zane. It's been awhile hasn't it? Probably since I graduated high school, right?" He even had that same smug smile. As much as I didn't want to trust him, this wasn't high school anymore. I know Aphmau believes in giving people second chances, so I'll do the same.
"Yeah, I think you're right. Happy birthday!" I replied with a smile.
"Thanks. By the way, I heard the news about you and Zane." I felt Zane tense up next to me. Gene spoke again. "I wouldn't have expected you of all people, Travis. Especially since my baby brother here was always trying to teach you how to get the ladies. Do you still follow some of those rules?"
The way he spoke made it seem like he was trying to suggest something rude, but I couldn't be sure about him.
Aphmau cut into our conversation. "Since everyone is here now we should start some games or something! Since it's Gene's birthday, he should get first pick."
We walked over and sat down on the ground next to Aaron and Kawaii~Chan while Gene pondered. Everyone gave him a couple minutes to think.

"I want to watch the Shining." He had an evil grin on his face for some reason.
"Before I start the movie, there is food in the kitchen if you want." Aphmau said, then put the movie on and we all watched it.

_Zane's P.O.V._
We had been through a couple of movies when I finally got up and went to the kitchen. I helped myself to a glass of water. As I was filling the cup, I felt a hand on my shoulder. Without looking up, I spoke. "What do you want Travis? Did you find an excuse yet?"
A voice that was definitely not Travis's replied. "Aww, c'mon. Were you guys planning to leave my birthday party early?"
I put the glass down and turned to the person standing behind me. I found myself looking into the same deep, blue eyes that stupid high school me fell in love with.
I could barely speak to him. "N-no. That's not it."
He was a little bit too close to me and my back was already against the counter.
"Be honest Zane, I can tell you're lying to me. You used to jump at the chance to be in the same room as me." He pulled my mask down, uncovering the lower half of my face.
"Please leave me alone!" I said through gritted teeth. "Back up!"
The movie must've been too loud for them to hear our conversation, because if Travis had heard me he would've come to help me immediately.
Gene didn't back up at all. He leaned closer to me. "Why are you so upset? I haven't done anything to you. You're the one who constantly followed me and my gang around in high school. You did nothing but stalk me and try to earn my attention, no matter how many times I told you to "leave me alone" or "back up". You even confessed your love to me."
He put one of his hands on my cheek and I blushed.
"Do you still like me? You seem to blush and get nervous quite a bit."
I shoved him backwards as hard as I could and pulled my mask up. Gene landed on the ground, causing a loud thump. I heard people getting up to check what the noise was as I ran out the front door and slammed it behind me.

I only stopped running when I was safely shut inside of my house. I took my jacket and mask off and left them in a pile by the door. I trudged upstairs to my room and curled up in our bed. I didn't even bother to change clothes. I never heard Travis come home or get in bed, but I felt him curl himself around me just as I was drifting off to sleep.