"You and your expressions," Hailey scolds. Then she hits my back, saying in a light tone, "I was kidding. He's like that, and he will prepare my pancakes nonetheless."

          "How do you know each other?"

          Hailey hums thoughtfully, tapping her chin. "We met in school, I think."

          "He goes to our school?" I can't hide the astonishment laced in my voice, because I know that even if I have the memory of a freaking gold fish, I do know when I met a person in a certain place, I think. And I am sure I have never seen Evan till the day when I was playing my violin on my balcony.

          "He used to, but then he dropped out before you transferred to our school," Hailey explains, tracing circles on the table. "And even if he's still there, you wouldn't even notice him. He's one of those people who like to remain, you know – invisible. His life is hard too, so don't judge him."

          I raise my hands up in exasperation. "I didn't even say anything! And I never judge people, you idiot."

          Propping her elbow on the table and adjusting her chin on her hand, Hailey gives me a challenging look, one side of her lips rising up in a smug smirk as she stares at me. "You mean you never judged me when you saw Aaron and Ryan." Before I can say anything, she quickly adds, "I mean, yes, they can change the mind of a freaking mountain, but you know."

          "You're talking total nonsense – "

          "You never judged me because I have red hair and green eyes and look like Merida from Brave, a movie you haven't even watched like the stupid idiot you are – "

          " – what are you even – "

          " – or when I wore my panda pajamas and you envied me because they didn't fit you because you're taller than I am – "

          "Hailey."

          I look to see a middle-aged woman strolling toward us. Her light gold hair is tucked into a bun, her eyes glistening like the water of a river it amazes me. The first thought that hits me when I see her is my mom, for they have the same light eyes, the eyes that look watery and crystal all the time.

          "Olivia!" Hailey stands and marches up to the woman, throwing her arms around her in a warm hug. "It's been ages – like, whole three days."

           Hailey pouts. The woman looks at me, narrowing her eyes the tiniest bit, as if to question me silently who I am.

           "Hi! I'm Hailey's friend," I say, feeling a bit awkward as Hailey has never told me about either of the people I'd just met.

           "Hello, dear," Olivia says eventually, drawing a bright smile on her equally bright face.

           "Ember, this is Olivia, the shiniest woman on earth," Hailey introduces, bringing her hair onto her shoulder and starting to unbraid her hair and redo it again. "She helps Evan in managing the place."

          Olivia leans one hand on Hailey's other shoulder as she shakes her head. She steals a glance at the kitchen, seeing Evan's back to us, before rolling her eyes at the ceiling. "He's so unpredictable – like, you can never read what's in that head of his." She looks me dead in the eye, looking like she's been electrified for a second. "Months ago, he was insisting on leaving town and selling the patisserie, but two weeks ago, he said he's not leaving and second-guessing his decisions!"

          "Pretty much like someone I know." The words slipped past my lips without any warnings, and Hailey's head shoots up, her eyes narrowing at me.