3| fermata

a/n:

i'm deeply sorry for this late update. my internet connection is absolute crap. things will start to pick up pace from here. i'm so happy i reached this point in the story. hope you like the 'gloomy one' you guys. please vote and/or comment if you like reading this! your feedback means everything to me. thank you. enjoy :)!

3

F E R M A T A 

[ marks a note to be held or sustained ]

I pull myself up the railing and stretch, breathing in the cool morning air and looking at the horizon line. The sky is picture perfect: it's deep blue up above and falls into serene shades of blue until it merges and blends with the softest tones of violet. There's a thin line of orange that cuts the night colors from spreading over where the fresh rays of sunlight start to lighten up the sky.

          My eyes flicker to the left and instantly land on the window where I saw that boy from before. I find myself smiling involuntarily every time I look there. There was something sheer and simple about the situation we had, but I was – am glad he at least considered giving life another chance. I really hope he did.

          I hop off the railing, the coldness seeping into my skin the moment my feet touch the ground. I should really stop wandering around without having any socks on. I make my way lazily to my room and find a pair of socks to wear, humming thoughtfully as I think of the place Hailey has mentioned yesterday.

          All I know about it is that there's a great possibility it's a patisserie since Hailey said I'd loathe it. Since I've been young, I developed a hatred toward sugar and sweets. I remember how this made Bryan laugh to no end when we were getting to know each other. He couldn't believe how someone hated anything literally sugar-coated since he has a sweet tooth.

          It's highly inconvenient, too; the timing of this hang out. The sun has barely risen, but Hailey insisted that since school has been cancelled due to the heavy snowfall that we go early to that special place of hers. I'm happy seeing her all chirpy when she talks about it. She says she feels peaceful there. She said we'd go at about eight, but I want to go out and breathe some fresh air for a bit.

           I decide to put on dark jeans and a grey pullover, a burgundy coat on top. After I pull my hair up in a ponytail, I make my way to the door, casting a surreptitious glance at the picture frame hung opposite the door. It's a picture of me and my mom smiling, behind us a canvas of bright stars. A small smile makes its way to my face, and I calmly shut the door behind me.

           The street is eerily quiet, no traces of human beings ahead, birdsongs enchanting the cold air. I walk along the trees lining up the park, shaking my head to a melody that's been on my mind for a while. The melody sounds like winter nights and snowflakes and young footsteps, but I still haven't written it down.

           It's this thing about music – you can't just turn your back to it.

           So I sit on the nearest bench and get out my notebook. I put on my earphones to shut the world out and start writing the scores, my phone in my hand with the piano application on to help guide my way through the notes. It's a difficult process since there's no actual piano in front of me, but the place makes up for that with the inspiration it offers.

           The morning breeze numbs my cheek, the winds flapping my hair. I tuck a strand behind my ear and carry through. I get a vague idea of where the piece is going, but it's hard to tell just yet. I don't realize I'm being watched until my neck hurts and I raise my head to stretch up my strained neck.