I'm A Walking Disaster

The next morning, I woke up at around eleven. I rolled over in bed and checked my phone. I had a text from Rian.

R: Can you come over today?

I texted him a quick reply.

A: Sure, I'll come. Any reason?

R: CC's doing a bit better. Also I don't feel like being alone.

A: I get it. I'll be there by twelve.

Realizing what I'd just texted, I quickly got out of bed, took a shower, and put on some clothes. I rushed downstairs, which was a mistake.

My foot missed a step and I tumbled face-first down the stairs, slamming into what felt like every step. I landed facedown on the tile floor in the kitchen, my entire body aching.

I lifted my head up and rested my elbows on the floor, and tried to shift onto my hands so I could get up. I instantly regretted that decision as a sharp pain stabbed through my left wrist.

Carefully, I stood up without using that wrist, which was a lot harder than it sounds. I limped to the dining room table, clutching my arm and wondering if I could still make it to Rian's.

Probably not. I set my arm down on the table and attempted to bend my wrist. FAIL.

Well, my mom was at work, and my phone was...upstairs.

I rolled my eyes and made my way back upstairs to get my phone, going slowly, gripping the railing like it was the end of the world, and watching my feet very carefully. I got my phone from my room and repeated the same procedure for going back down the stairs.

I sat back down at the kitchen table and flipped open my phone. Now what?

I didn't know what to do, or who to contact. All I could think of to do was text Rian and cancel on him, but I was scared I'd seem rude and Rian would hate me forever. So I did the only thing I could think of to do.

I called Jack.

He picked up on the third ring. "Hey, Alex."

"Hey Jack, so, uh, long story-" I began.

"What is it?" he asked worriedly.

"So I just fell down a flight of stairs and I may have broken something..." I trailed off.

"Do you need me to come over there?" he asked.

"No, not if it'll inconvenience you," I said quickly.

"I'm coming over there," he said.

"But, well, you don't have to..." I said.

"Babe, I have no life," he said. "I'll be there in about fifteen minutes, and I'll see you then."

"Bye, I guess." He hung up and I quickly texted Rian that it turned out I couldn't make it after all, that something came up and I was really sorry. I prayed he wouldn't hate me.

Jack arrived in fifteen minutes, as promised, and obviously my mom had forgotten to lock the front door when she left, because he just walked on in. "Hey," I said.

He spotted me and took a chair next to mine. "So, what happened?"

"Rian invited me over and I said I'd be there at twelve, but I didn't wake up until eleven or so, so I was rushing to get ready, and my foot missed a step on the way down the stairs. I think I may have broken my wrist," I lamely finished.

"Let me see," he said, and I moved my injured arm toward him.

He placed a hand on my wrist and I let out a noise that was halfway between a gasp and a yell. He quickly took his hand away. "Am I hurting you?"

I rolled my eyes. "No shit, Sherlock. But go on, it's fine. I'll put up with it."

Cautiously, he put his hand back on mine and ran his fingers down the length of my forearm. I yelped when they got to my wrist. "Can you bend it?" he asked.

I shook my head. "Not as far as I know."

He gently picked my arm up, using both hands and keeping my wrist in line with the rest of my arm. Carefully, he bent my wrist, and I yelled for real this time.

"I'm so sorry!" He let go of my arm and moved closer to me.

"It's fine," I said softly, pressing up against him.

"I don't think it's broken, but I feel like you should get it checked out," he said.

"Okay, sure, but my mom doesn't come home from work until six," I said meekly.

"I brought my car," he said. "Come on, I'm taking you to the hospital."

He got up from his chair, and I followed reluctantly. He was right, I knew that, but I hate hospitals. Like, they smell weird, and there's next to no color. And the people there are horrible. Should I mention this to Jack?

Nope.

*****AUTHOR'S NOTE*****

I'm gonna be busy this week, so updates are probably going to be a bit slower.