The person lifted their head and confirmed my suspicions of who they were, or more precisely, who he was. Shax's eyes bore into mine, his red eyes gleaming with such a superiority that made me nauseous.

"It's good to see you again Miss Carthwright," his voice was polite and cold as ice. It made the hair on my neck stand up. I said nothing, but didn't need to as he continued; "So what do you think of my lavish home?"

 What the hell did he think?

"Lavish," I replied with a straight face which earned me a handsome grin from the vampire King.

"Yes, I thought a central location was the best way for me to keep an eye on my city and on my people." He picked up a small glass containing amber liquid and swirled it around a little before taking a sip of it.

"I could have chosen a place in the Hollywood Hills from one of the many mansions owned by late celebrities, but none were really my particular taste."

I had no idea what or who celebrities were, but Shax didn't seem to notice. 

"Are you aware of why exactly you are here Emily?" He asked, and for a moment I wondered how much of what Nox had told me I should reveal. I chose the safest solution.

"The Professor," I said slowly.

"He said a machine would..would extract my..my magic."

"Indeed, that's the exactly what it will do when the time comes, but do you know what for?" Again I contemplated on how much i should reveal, but played it safe again. I shook my head.

"It will be stored in a magnetic container and then my body will absorb it so that I will be able to use it." He sounded so superior, as if talking about this, about my certain death, was an everyday matter. He was cold and cynical, no emotion or compassion was left in him. He was a pure monster and he was completely insane. He had to be stopped, I was well aware of that.

"What do you think of this?" He asked me, and I was so close to just spilling out what I had thought just before, when I thought, 'what would he care anyway, the guy's nuts'. So I did.

"I think you're absolutely insane. You must have ingested some pretty bad blood if you think I would let you do that to me without a fight," I said as matter of fact and my eyes firmly on his. Shax chuckled at my response and settled back in the chair.

"Emily, I know there are someone inside my home who does not want me to take your precious magic. They are against it so much that they might try and rebel against me," his eyes searched me for clues of his accusation, "I know you haven't been here for very long, but perhaps you might have picked up on something?" I stared at him blankly, grateful that he didn't have mind reading as a gift, like Nox.

"If I did why on earth would I tell you? You'll kill me regardless right?" I said and Shax pursed his lips.

"Hmm, clever girl, but that won't happen until after I have your magic, and then I'll feed on your blood until the very last drop leaves your body." His face was unreadable except for his eyes that shone brightly red at the mention of my blood and my body involuntarily shivered in terror at his words. A creepy image of Shax drinking from my neck arose in my mind, but I put it to rest quickly. Nox would get me out before that scenario happened; I hoped.

"They're your vampires, so you should know that is going on here," I pointed out and Shax smiled a little.

"You're quite right my dear." I winced at the endearment he used for me.

"I'm keeping a close eye on every moving person here, human or vampire, and I will know who's plotting against me. Pass that along will you." His threat itched itself into my mind and even though seeking out Nox afterwards was a dead giveaway (pun intended) he needed to know one way or the other. I guess I somehow owed him that much. Jeez, what had I succumbed to? Owing favours to vampires now? Soon I might as well be donating my blood willingly. But I wouldn't be. If vampires took my blood it would damn well be against my will.