Chapter 5

I drove home in a daze, the events of the night running through my mind again.

Meeting Luke through his hands on my waist.

The glorious music that was my best friends.

Luke scaring AJ off.

Meeting Rose. I wasn't sure what I thought of her yet. We hadn't talked long after she had wished me luck with Luke, but she had struck me. I had a feeling I'd be meeting the obviously cynical girl again. She had smiled at me with those discerning eyes and disappeared into the throng of people leaving after we spoke. I had looked for her as I spoke with the boys, minus Luke, after they'd finished setting up but hadn't had any luck. The raven haired girl had disappeared.

Ashton walking me to my car after the party ended near 1:30. My mind absentminded dwelled on the fact that he gave excellent hugs and smelt good, which didn't make sense. He had just drummed like a beast for a full set and had been in a house party.

I really needed sleep. I pulled into my driveway, noting the rare sight of my dad's ridiculously expensive car in its spot. He was home.

I sighed, exiting the car and walking into the house, to find my dad seated on the asymmetrical couch, still in full suit and tie regalia.

"Andrea. I've been waiting for you." His voice is crisp, formal, slight British accent even after living in the US for the first 6 years of my life.

I cross my arms, not even caring that my belly ring is showing. He should know. He paid for it. His eyes go to it, widening, but he doesn't say anything. "Andy, Dad. I like to be called Andy. And I was at a party if you must know."

His eyebrows draw together, eyes identical to mine scrunching together.

"No drinking?" He asks hesitantly, not exactly used to disciplining me.

I shake my head, aching for my bed upstairs, back into my self inflicted chaos. I start edging towards the stairs.

"One more thing Andr-" he stops, clearing his throat, "Andy. Tomorrow I want to spend some time together. Go to the beach or something. Are you okay with that?"

I stand there and stare at him for a moment. My dad and I aren't exactly close. Never have been. He has always been too busy with work to pay attention to me. But I won't count him out.

I hesitantly reply. "Sure."

He smiles at me, a sight I'm not super familiar with. Unsure of what to do, I retreat upstairs, to my bedroom, still slightly confused.

Changing into an old t-shirt that is a billion sizes too big, I pass out in bed before my head even hits the pillow.

I wake up at an ungodly hour, cursing my body. It's 7 am on a Saturday morning, after a party the night before and I wake up after only 5 hours of sleep. But it's too late. I'm awake now, and getting back to sleep doesn't seem an option.

And I have to go to the beach with my father today. I need some mental clarity. With nothing else coming to mind, I pull on shorts and a sports bra, grabbing my headphones before walking down the stairs. Nobody will be out this early, no shirt won't be that big of a deal.

I'm out the door now, All Time Low coursing through my ears, pushing me. I love them so much it's probably not even healthy anymore. But I don't care. I love running to them, always have.

I run past the house I can now identify as Luke's, trying hard not to look, but not being able to help myself. My eyes flick up to the big house, wondering what exactly is in there. I stumble, not paying enough attention, and want to punch myself as I regain my rhythm, evening out my stride. I've met the boy once, and while he was admittedly different from any other boy I'd met here, all tattoos and piercings and confidence, he had still been a bit of an asshole. I shouldn't be wondering what the inside of his house looks like. The purpose of this run was to clear my head, not let him in.

I turn the music up a few notches, letting it blur out everything else, drown my thoughts and push myself a bit harder. He doesn't matter. He shouldn't matter. What matters is the sun peaking up and the pavement beneath my feet. Not some boy I've met once. 'Even if you did feel something you shouldn't with him' the voice in the back of my head whispers. I promptly tell it to fuck off.

By the time I get home, over an hour later, I'm soaked with sweat and starving. My dad is still asleep, which doesn't surprise me. I have always woken up earlier than him, which bugged him to death earlier in my life when he was actually home when I was. I don't remember it very clearly, but I remember that.

I sprint up the stairs, making my way into the shower. I like long showers- washing my hair, face, body, and shaving is a time consuming process.

Besides, it relaxes me, and by the time I emerge from the steamy bathroom, my mind feels clearer than it did before and I'm even humming a song the boys performed last night to myself. I'm grabbing my blue bikini and something to wear over it when my phone rings, singing out Calum's ringtone, a Chris Brown song I let him chose.

"Hello?" I answer, trying to pull on the bottoms without killing myself while still talking on the phone.

"Andy! The boys are all at my house and they're still sleeping and I'm bored. What are you doing?" Calum rushes out, even though I can tell he just woke up.

I finally get the bottoms up, now fighting with the top. "I am attempting to get dressed for the beach." I almost dislocate my shoulder, trying to get my top on. "It's not going well." I mutter.

He laughs at me. "Want some help?"

"I think you should know I'm flipping you off right now, Hood." He laughs again as I finally succeed.

Now for the shorts to go over. I decide to wait until I am off the phone to do this. Calum is speaking again.

"So the boys and I will meet you there. The beach sounds awesome. Call you later." He hangs up quickly, my protest about my father accompanying me dying on my lips.

I hold back a string of curse words, pulling on some shorts and a jaws tank over my swim suit.

Great. Me. My dad. Calum. Ashton. Michael. And Luke.

I see no way (and by that I mean everyway) that this can go wrong.

But I'll meet my fate. I trudge down the stairs, desperate for food, to find my father making a smoothie. He's always been big into health food, which is probably why he has stayed so fit and good looking, which in turn contributes to the steady stream of girlfriends he usually has.

Wordlessly, he hands me a glass, already filled with the purple concoction. He already looks dressed for the beach too. We eat in silence, as we usually do. I have no idea what to say to this man who is one half my DNA. And it freaks me out. I decide not to mention the fact that the boys will be meeting us there. Surprises are good, right?

"Ready to go?" He asks after I have slurped down the admittedly delicious smoothie. I nod, and I grab my bag, following him out the door.

He walks towards his Porsche. I walk towards my charger. We stare at each other. My dad clears his throat, nodding his head towards his car, and after swallowing my protests, I get in the passenger side of his silver beauty. If he wants sand in his interior, then that's his problem.

The drive is short, punctuated only by the music I turn up. Praise the heavens I got my music taste from my dad. He has a Blink cd in and it somewhat breaks the growing tension. Or it does until we finally pull up to the sandy beach, exiting the conspicuous car.And they're standing there in front of us.

Tall. Pierced. Attractive. tattooed (at least in Luke's stupid and still got case). And staring at us. Just like Calum promised they would be. I smile, suddenly finding myself enjoying the tension. My dad hasn't met any of my friends since I was 8 and quit my soccer league.

I move forward, studiously ignoring Luke. Shoving my shades on my nose, I grin at this whole situation. This will be fun. Disastrous? Most likely. But fun. I can only imagine how this will play out. My dad is pretty laid back, until it comes to boys. Boys are a whole different story.

"Dad, meet Ashton, Michael, Calum, and their friend Lucas."