Chapter 1

There is a moment where your heart stops, palms start to shake and nothing seems possible.

Or, in my case, there can be a string of moments, all woven together in one singular event.

That moment?

Standing in front of a new school, in a new country, on your first day.

Australia was not a place I wanted to be in the middle of my junior year. Yet here I was, standing out like a sore thumb in black shorts, black converse, and an old Mayday Parade shirt. These tan, preening girls in skirts and barely there tank tops weren't me.

I could already tell this wasn't going to be easy.

Walking into the office and receiving my schedule was easy. Waiting for my guide to show up was okay. Watching the tan, dark haired, drop dead attractive boy with a lip piercing walk in was less okay.

"Andrea Clementine?" He asked, brown eyes on me.

I stood up, brushing the non existent dust off my shorts. "That's me."

He sighs in relief. "Thank god. Your name scared me, I thought you'd be one of those super hot girls I'd be afraid to talk to, but you don't seem like a bitch."

The secretary's head snapped up. "Mr. Hood! Language!"

I had no idea how to take that.

He just smiled at her before turning around and opening the door for me.

"I'm Calum Hood, and I guess I'm your guide today, Andrea." His accent was hard and undeniably attractive.

I snorted. "Please call me Andy. I hate the name Andrea with a passion, it just doesen't feel right."

He laughed. "I respect that. Lemme see your timetable." He takes my schedule, staring at it intently.

"Alright, well you have have physics first, which is right in here. The rest of your classes are pretty straight forward, just down the hall. If you have any questions, I'm pretty easy to find. Good luck, Andy."

I thank him, turning around to enter the classroom, already unwinding my headphones from around my phone.

"Wait!" Calum calls me back, and I whip around, hair flying around me.

"Do you actually like Mayday Parade, or do you just wear that to impress guys?"

I narrow my eyes at him. "I happen to love them, not that it should matter to you. The Silence by them is my favorite."

He grins, looking happy. "Just checking. You're alright, Andy Clementine."

I salute him, turning and walking into my classroom, inserting my head buds in, ready to zone out and block the whispers about the new girl.

It's finally lunch time and my headphones are in, blasting AFI and Sleeping With Sirens. For a moment, it's not so bad until I feel a hand on my ass, a place no hand should be.

I slowly yank a headphone out, turning around to see a tall brunette guy smirking down at me, arrogance oozing off of him, cockiness shining in his eyes.

"Can I help you?" He is either very dumb or very confident, not backing down at the venom in my voice. There is already an audience formed around us.

"Hey baby, you're new here, lemme show you how to have a good time. You look like you'd be fun, so come and shake that tight little ass for me." He says too loudly, blatantly considering himself God's gift to women.

I smile sweetly at him. "Love to, point me in the direction of the nearest man, because all I see is a little boy with a tiny penis and an inflated ego."

He goes from laughing and confident to angry and threatening in a second.

"Did you just turn me down?"

I drop the smile, fed up with him and his grabby hands, glancing around me.

"Yep. Better get used to it." I'm already walking away, ignoring the stunned looks from our audience, popping my headphone back in, and sitting down at a table by myself, but only getting a minute of peace before the headphones are unceremoniously pulled back out. I look up to see Calum, my former guide, sitting in front of me with 2 other boys who are equally attractive.

"Do you know who you just humiliated in front of half the school?" Calum asks in wonder.

I look between him and the other 2 boys I assume are his friends, taking in their impressed looks. I impatiently brush my hip length dark reddish brown hair out of my face.

"No? Should I?"

The platinum blonde one, whose hair I gather is dyed, rolls his eyes.

"Doll, that was AJ Austin, star jerk and resident asshole, who has ruled this school since his freshman year. And you just became the first to question that."

I raise my eyebrows. "He touched my ass without permission. I wasn't just going to stand for it."

They start laughing.

The brunette one with messy hair and gorgeous eyes reaches over to shake my hand. "I'm Ashton, and I think I'm in love with you. Nobody has ever stood up to AJ like that. It was beautiful."

I can't help it- I start laughing.

The blonde one sticks his hand out too, grasping mine.

"I'm Michael, and you've already met Calum. Andy, I think we're going to be good friends."

I smile. "Calum, Ashton, and Michael. Glad to know I provide amusement for you. But you did interrupt my Nirvana jam session, so I'm afraid we might not work out, even if you're all adorable."

They exchange looks. "What?" I ask, slightly confused.

Michael shakes his head, eyeing Ashton and Calum. "I can't wait for her to meet Luke."

"Who is Luke? They smirk at each other.

"Luke, my darling Andy, is the fourth member of our band. Although he is currently suspended at the moment, I'm sure you two would hit it off." Ashton seems gleeful at this.

I brush off the fact he's suspended (I've been there, done that) and we'd hit it off and focus on the infinitely more interesting fact presented.

"You're in a band?" It's my turn to look impressed, and I'm sure my dark brown and gold eyes are wide enough to make me look like a fish. They look smug, settling a little deeper into their seats around me.

"I play guitar, Ash drums, and Calum's bass. Luke is on guitar too, and we all sing." Michael looks proud, and now that I'm looking closely, I can see the calluses on all of their hands.

I smile, punching Calum in the shoulder. "Why didn't you tell me earlier? That's so cool. When can I hear you? What's it called?"

Ashton takes over, a grin spreading across his face. "We're 5 Seconds of Summer and if you really want to hear us play, there's a party on Friday you can come to that we're playing at. And you can meet Luke there too."

"I will definitely be there. What'd Luke do to get suspended, anyway?" They all look away at my question.

"That's a story for another time." Calum avoids the question, standing up, then holding out a hand to help me up, but I just rise on my own, getting a wry grin out of him. He shakes his head.

"Independent one. I'm sure Luke will love that." I didn't even notice we were now walking, Calum and Ashton on either side of me, Michael trailing behind, doing something on his phone.

"What is so special about Luke meeting me?" I'm slightly anxious now, the way they talk about me and this mysterious Luke. Michael catches up, flicking my hair like we've known each other for years, making me smile against my will.

"You'll see." He says, humming a Good Charlotte song just loud enough for me to hear.

*as you can see, the cover is a punk Luke edit someone sent to me. If anybody knows who made the edit, I would love to credit them. If anybody knows, let me know please:)*